Upgrading Hardware, does this make sense?

Hello all, could use your help....

Here's my prospective build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NpcrQ7

This is to upgrade my aging system that I had built years ago.  I recently upgraded to 6.0.1 and noticed that with Dockers, VM functionality built in I would like to make use of those features.

I picked MicroCenter as my vendor of choice as they are pretty close to me and have everything I was looking for in stock.  I will be moving my existing drives to this new build but that appears to be all that I can move from my current setup.

The uses are for running multiple 1080p Plex streams (passmark score for the cpu seems able to handle this), Linux VM for GNS3, handbrake encoder and music server.

Is there anything else you all can think of that would be a problem here?  The MB allows for virtualization but couldn't find anything is regards to graphics card pass through if I wanted to run a full-blown gaming PC out of this thing.

I could also upgrade the memory so that wouldn't be much of an issue price wise.

Thanks all for your input.

Hello all, could use your help....

Here's my prospective build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NpcrQ7

This is to upgrade my aging system that I had built years ago.  I recently upgraded to 6.0.1 and noticed that with Dockers, VM functionality built in I would like to make use of those features.

I picked MicroCenter as my vendor of choice as they are pretty close to me and have everything I was looking for in stock.  I will be moving my existing drives to this new build but that appears to be all that I can move from my current setup.

The uses are for running multiple 1080p Plex streams (passmark score for the cpu seems able to handle this), Linux VM for GNS3, handbrake encoder and music server.

Is there anything else you all can think of that would be a problem here?  The MB allows for virtualization but couldn't find anything is regards to graphics card pass through if I wanted to run a full-blown gaming PC out of this thing.

I could also upgrade the memory so that wouldn't be much of an issue price wise.

Thanks all for your input.

What you have chosen looks good for your immediate planned use. The motherboard needs to support vt-d (sometimes called IOMMU). Most of this generation do, but I do not have hands on experience with that board.

The CPU also needs to support vt-d, and the i7-4790K certainly does.

A few things to note:

1. The "k" series CPU is designed for overclocking, you might be able to save a few bucks and get the non-"k" unit. Overclocking with unRAID, VM's are a bad combination!! You're after stability, not an extra 0.5% performance. :)

2. You will want more RAM when you decide to try your hand at VM Gaming. Most modern games are looking for 6GB of RAM, leaving a paltry 2GB for ALL your other tasks (unRAID, dockers, Linux VM, etc.)

Best of luck.

Mike