Need 4-port pci-e x4 disk controller (JBOD)

I have an existing system that I would like to add 4 more disks. It only has a x4 PCIe slot available so I am trying to find a solution that will allow me NOT upgrade MB/CPU for a while. The system currently has 14 drives (a mix of 2, 3 & 4 TB)

Ideally, I would like: one SAS SFF8087 x4 connector (4 SATA acceptable), rated at 6Gbs (would accept 3Gbs) that can handle 4 to 8 TB drives (6T minimum).

I tried a new board and once installed I had about 10 crashes in 24 hours. I know it was the board as only one one disk (attached to the new board) was being accessed, and the disk works fine on the other controller and on the MB.

I have an AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and an IT flashed M1015 sitting in another chassis that is temporarily idle, but those are both x8, and I don't know if they can operate in an x4 slot. (Any experience on this?)

Any suggestions/recommendations welcome!

Thanks,

Frog Jr

I have an AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and an IT flashed M1015 sitting in another chassis that is temporarily idle, but those are both x8, and I don't know if they can operate in an x4 slot. (Any experience on this?)

Yes, as long as the x8 card fits (machanically) into the x4 slot, you can operate it.

Of course you will have the performance of an x4 card only.