2nd Unraid Build 20TB - Suggestions Welcome

rx8freehk

Will be running docker heavy, and I want to be able to expand this time.

Throw in some SUPERMICROAOC-SAS2LP-MV8 SAS 8-Port Controller Cards and I could top this out with 4TB's someday at 76TB

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor

MOBO: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)BLS2K8G3D1609ES2LX0

HDD: 6x Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive

HDD Cache: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

CASE: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 ATX Full Tower Case

PSU: Corsair HX750i High Performance Power Supply ATX12V/EPS12V 750 CP-9020072-NA

DRIVE CAGES: 2x NORCO SS-500 5-Bay SATA / SAS Hot Swap Rack Module

FLASH: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-008G-B35

All opinions welcome, I will be ordering tomorrow evening.  I will use this as a build thread after I order.

I'm not sure what Dockers you are planning on running, but docker heavy makes me think more CPU.  You're generally getting high end components and the Core i3 you've picked is the only thing that strikes me as mid-range.  It's also worth considering an SSD for the cache - will you be using it to cache array writes, or just application data?

I agree.  And if you are not running VMs or Docker Containers, why do you need so much RAM?  I know RAM in general is cheap, but I used 8GBs with a 10TB array and a VM is chewing up 2GB.

In any case, knowing how you plan to use it would help.  I know my server is 10 times better since I added the SSD.