We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

[SOLVED] W10 Installer Recognizes vdisk; won't install

goober07

Unraid 6.0.1

I setup my first VM using the webGUI per the unraid manual. Unraid displays on the igpu (vga) and the UEFI shell & Windows 10 installer show up on the Nvidia 770.

Loaded amd64 drivers for Balloon, NetKVM, vioserial, viostor, and the installer recognized the vdisk I specified as unallocated space. Clicking "new" says windows will create multiple partitions, but none are created. Clicking "next" says windows can't install to the disk I've specified, error 0x80300002

Any ideas? Reminds me of trying to install Windows 10 booted UEFI on an MBR disk when the installer expects GPT. Did I miss something when specifying the vdisk?

Absolutely jonp. Sorry for the short initial post. Was trying to get it written before I left for work.

virtio drivers came from virtio-win-0.1.102.iso downloaded, which were listed as "stable virtio-win iso". I can try 0.1.109.iso which is listed as "latest"

latest windows 10 iso (downloaded 8/15/2015 from Microsoft using the x64 media creation tool)

have not tried SeaBIOS. Was concerned about losing igpu VGA after passing the nvidia card through. Will try SeaBIOS if the 0.1.109 drivers don't work.

This behavior reminds me of an earlier build of Windows 10 when I misconfigured some boot options (same system, bare metal W10 install). "UEFI Boot & GPT" worked, "BIOS & MBR" worked, but Windows could not install to disk with "BIOS & GPT" or "UEFI & MBR"

Update:

Confirmed issue with the 0.1.102 drivers. I force-stopped the VM, edited the xml to point to 0.1.109.iso, started the VM, and Windows 10 created the necessary partitions.

Just to confirm it wasn't the force-quit & restart that fixed the problem, repeated the procedure, pointing back to 0.1.102. Windows 10 again failed to create partitions, only this time with Error 0x8e143310.

I'm moving forward with 0.1.109 now. The only other note I have is "vioserial" had two identical drivers (I picked the bottom one) during installation, but mounting the iso on my laptop only shows one "vioser.inf"

This thread can be marked as solved, since Windows did install with the newer drivers.

I'm still facing the issue of 3dmark performance coming in at 7038 when bare metal ran over 11,000.

Ok, will update to mark solved.

As far 3d mark performance, how many CPUs did you assign the guest?  Please provide the detailed scores, not just the total (e.g. I want to see your graphics score, physical score, and combined scores.

Feel free to move this post to another thread, or tell me and I'll create one.

i5-4670. I assigned 4 cores to the VM.

Score

Graphics Score

Physics Score

Combined Score

My bare metal scores are saved on an HD I can't access until tomorrow. I selected "Shut down" from Windows, then stopped the array, and shut down the server. Brought everything back up, and got the "press any key to boot from cd" followed by the EFI shell. No idea how or if I fixed it... but I'm typing this post from the VM

Edit: Just wanted to see if power cycling everything made a difference. It did not. My other two runs before the power cycle were 6986 and 7038.

Feel free to move this post to another thread, or tell me and I'll create one.

i5-4670. I assigned 4 cores to the VM.

Score

Graphics Score

Physics Score

Combined Score

My bare metal scores are saved on an HD I can't access until tomorrow. I selected "Shut down" from Windows, then stopped the array, and shut down the server. Brought everything back up, and got the "press any key to boot from cd" followed by the EFI shell. No idea how or if I fixed it... but I'm typing this post from the VM

Edit: Just wanted to see if power cycling everything made a difference. It did not. My other two runs before the power cycle were 6986 and 7038.

Ok, so you assigned the VM all 4 cores you have available.  What else do you have running on the system as far as other VMs / containers / plugins go?  Because you've assigned 100% of the CPUs to the VM, other tasks running on the system will impact the performance of the VM which may affect your scores.  You would be better served by a faster processor that has hyperthreading (yours does not).  HT will double the presented core count in unRAID so you could assign 6 of the 8 to a VM and leave the other 2 for host-based tasks.

My guess is that the graphics score is probably not too different from your bare metal test, but the physics score may be dragging it down a bit because that's CPU intensive.  Please report back with the physical test scores when you have them.  I'm very curious.

Forgive me jonp... I must have had (a few) too many the night I ran 3dmark on Windows 10 bare metal.

I finally figured out that I had to mount my drive read only because Windows left some hibernate data on it. Basically followed the instructions from

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Copy_files_from_a_NTFS_drive

Except used the following:

mount -t ntfs-3g -o ro

Copied everything to the array, pulled up the bare metal results on my laptop, and found:

Score 7099

Graphics Score 8458

Physics Score 7159

Combined Score 3203

So the passthrough graphics performance is well within margin of error - virtualization has no measurable impact based on my sample size. Physics score, as you said, will be impacted by anything else running on the system. A CPU upgrade in the future would be welcome, but for now, it works!

Thanks again for your help.

Forgive me jonp... I must have had (a few) too many the night I ran 3dmark on Windows 10 bare metal.

I finally figured out that I had to mount my drive read only because Windows left some hibernate data on it. Basically followed the instructions from

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Copy_files_from_a_NTFS_drive

Except used the following:

mount -t ntfs-3g -o ro

Copied everything to the array, pulled up the bare metal results on my laptop, and found:

Score 7099

Graphics Score 8458

Physics Score 7159

Combined Score 3203

So the passthrough graphics performance is well within margin of error - virtualization has no measurable impact based on my sample size. Physics score, as you said, will be impacted by anything else running on the system. A CPU upgrade in the future would be welcome, but for now, it works!

Thanks again for your help.

Gotta be careful when drinking and benchmarking!  Sometimes you start putting numbers in the wrong order and before you know it, you're spraying an air dust can upside down on the CPU to try and bump your scores!

Archived