We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Migrating From XenServer to UnRaid+KVM

NotYetRated

Note: Originally posted in hardware a couple weeks back. May be better suited here? Sorry for double post.

Hello everyone, looking for some sage advice on migrating to UnRAID 6.

My goal is to migrate my home server box to UnRAID 6, and run a couple of VM's off of it. I'll detail what I want it to do, as well as my existing setup.

Expectations:

1. House my 12+TB of home storage. Some media, a lot of work related stuff, personal files, etc. Easily shareable within my house, and hopefully remotely when needed.

2. Ability to run VM's. The box I have is powerful, I would like to make use of it to run:

- The storage server(UnRAID)

- Linux VM(Minecraft server for the little brother and his friends)

- Media Server running: Plex, Sabnzbd, sickbeard, couch potato, headphones

- Media Player: A VM running, probably Windows, with a USB port and full graphics card passed through for home theater viewing. Must be able to bit stream DTS-HD off of the graphics card HDMI.

3. All VM's have access to the storage files. Plex for instance will need to pull my DVD rips. Minecraft will need to have access to mass storage for backups.

My Current Hardware and Setup:

Proc: e3 1345v3

MoBo: ASRock C226WS

RAM: 32GB

ATI 6750

ATI 6450

LSI controller programmed to JBOD mode, IT mode whatever its called haha

8 Hard drives of various sizes

2 SSD's

Spare but not installed: Intel dual port ethernet and a USB 3.0 2 port controller

VM1: Media Server, Windows Server 2012, houses FlexRAID with all my drives

VM2: MineOS, Minecraft server

VM3: Windows 7 with the 6750 and a USB port. The point of this is to server up Plex content to my home theater, and I occasionally game on it with a USB Xbox controller.

VM4: Windows 7 with the 6450 and a USB port(currently not using this VM, no need for it)

If anyone could give any thoughts, suggestions for how exactly to migrate myself, etc, I would greatly appreciate it. This box is on 24/7. She currently eats about 55 watts when idle, 175 when FlexRAID is doing parity checks etc, and bounces around 250 when I am doing minor gaming on the main VM. The server sits in a media closet, with HDMI router through the walls to various locations. It runs well, however I am not 100% happy with FlexRAID, server shares are wonky. I also upgraded from XenServer 6.2 to 6.5, and my graphics card passthrough quit working, so I had to downgrade. Annoying. XenServer is kind of getting on my nerves. Would like more robust GPU passthrough, VM management and maybe the ability to pass Nvidia cards at some point.

I am not a linux or command line noob, however I really prefer working with VM's via a GUI, I don't want to have to do a ton of configuring or turning the VM's on/off, or checking status whatever via command line.

Archived