Smart Data Interpretation.

Hi all,

I am new to the community.  Currently have an UNRAID 6 setup running with 3x ST8000AS0002 and 1x ST3000DM001.  I was replacing my 15 drive FreeNAS setup with RAID-Z3 and 2Tb drives.

After pulling all these drives i have ran preclear for 3 to 6 passes to verify the reliability of the drives.  And 1 extended SMART tests on all.

1 drive wouldn't even spin up, so I tossed it.

The drive 5XW12HZN appears to be a disaster, based on numerous SMART issues. Bad I'm guessing?

The other 13 will go into my UNRAID server assuming they are trust worthy.  Don't really need them so if not good enough for UNRAID might use them for intel raid 10.  Otherwise toss.

I was hoping you guys could help me interpret these results.  In terms of future reliability for atleast 2 more years of run time.

Thanks in advance.

Above updated 9-Sept-2015

14-drive-SMART-PRECLEAR.doc

My recommendations, based on the Preclear results only.  A full evaluation should really include the full SMART report, because other factors might be important too, such as the age of the drive.  (I'll include below the sd drive symbols from the pictures, but be aware that they may change on reboot.)

* ST32000542AS...2HZN (sdg) - Preclear it one more time.  You want a result that's clean, without any important changes such as current pending sectors or runtime bad blocks.

* ST2000DL003...WA1N (sdj) - Drive appears clean, but seek error rate value is low, a little worrisome.

* ST2000DM001...26QJ (sdh) - appears clean

* WDCWD20EARS...9793 (sdf) - appears clean

* ST2000DM001...2510 (sdi) - appears clean

* ST2000DM001...25KC (sdk) - appears clean

Note: text files would be easier for me to work with, no transcription of drive models and serials needed.

• 2 weeks later...