Supermicro X9SCM-F & Norco 4224 Fan questions

whymse

Hi All,

I don't think this has been exactly addressed on the forum, so hoping for a bit of guidance, please.

What I want to do is control the fan speed of the 5x case fans (BIOS can control the CPU fan).

I'm running Unraid 5.0.4 virtualized on ESXi.

I'm currently running the 3x 120mm fans and 2x 80mm case fans through a BitFenix Recon, but it's a bit hackish with the cables hanging out the back of the case and the Recon not supporting linux for RPM control.

So first question: Given the motherboard supports FAN1-4 and FAN-A, how are people connecting their 6 total fans to the 5 ports and getting RPM control? Is there a splitter that would allow me to connect the 2x 80mm fans to a single FAN-X header and get RPM control to both at the same time?

Second question: I am not seeing a solution to the ESXi + Supermicro + sensors issues... Would going the IPMI route (compiling ipmitool or upgrading unraid to v6 to get plugins that have ipmi support) get me fan control across those 4 fans?

Thanks very much in advance... I found a bunch of ESXi+Supermicro+Sensor posts, but they aren't giving concrete directions as to which way people have gone to support fan control + esxi + supermicro. I assume some have given up, some have gone bare metal and others might have solved their issue but not posted.

Thanks!

• 10 months later...