Socket 1150 or rather LGA1150 ecc buffered memory

xdrone

I know that Socket 1150 or rather LGA1150 is the CPU socket but I am confused!!!!

I have 32GB of Registered ECC Memory (M393B1K70DH0-CK0, Samsung) I would like use in a motherboard that meets the requirements of REGISTERED ECC. I visited the Wikipedia article on Registered ECC, and it says:

"Buffered memory is an older term for registered memory. Buffered refers to an electronic buffer placed between the memory and the memory controller. In general registered RAM won't fit in a slot for unregistered RAM, however it will with SDRAM."

The specs for the memory is here.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/file/2011/product/2011/9/2/614126ds_ddr3_2gb_d-die_based_rdimm_rev13.pdf

I have noticed a post on this forum about "Socket 1150" not being compatible with "Registered ECC" here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=34116.15

however, the site PCPartpicker.com is a fairly good resource for compatible components, and I plugged in my Samsung Reg. ECC memory and the only ones that came up were "Socket 1150" or rather "LGA1150".  I am confused!!!! since I was looking at the "Asus Z9PE-D8 WS SSI EEB Dual-CPU LGA2011 Motherboard" and it says its compatible with Samsung Registered ECC.

I am a bit skeptical about the motherboard to buy it or not. I am open to suggestions as to a compatible motherboard with Registered ECC. Any suggestions?

Please help. Thanks

Modern buffered memory modules are either registered (like your modules) or "fully buffered" modules (FBDIMMs).

To use either, you must have a motherboard designed for them.    NO Socket 1150 motherboard supports registered modules.

If you want to use your existing memory, you'll need to buy a motherboard that's designed for them. 

Go to Newegg;  click on Components - Motherboards - Server Motherboards.    Then look at the additional criteria down the left side, and select YES for Registered memory.    I'd recommend an Intel-based board using an E5 series Xeon, but there are some AMD options as well in the list.

Note that while an E5 series Xeon with registered RAM is a SUPERB system, it will cost more than using an E3 series with unbuffered ECC RAM and a nice Cxxx chipset server motherboard to support it ... even when you include the cost of the new memory.

My understanding is a little bit different than Garys but still similar.

There are 3 major types of memory in DDR3.

1. Fully Buffered or may be called Registered. Always includes ECC as a feature. Includes a buffer chip to reduce the load of managing memory allocations, thereby increasing the amount of addressable memory available for use by the CPU. Only supported by motherboards and processor that can support this feature.

2. Unbuffered - but with ECC - No buffer chip in these. Does provide ECC however, if the motherboard AND the processor can use it 1. motherboard must be wired to get ECC signal from memory to the CPU, and not all are. 2. CPU must know how to use it. Most AMD processors do, some intel do. In previous generations Intel only supported ECC in the Xeon line. Now it is different.

3. Unbuffered or plain old memory - No ECC, no buffer chip.

Advantages -

#3 can be used in place of #2, but of course there is no ECC.

#2 can be mixed with #3, but all ECC functions become disabled when mixed.

cons -

Can't use ECC memory ALONE on a motherboard that does not support it; it just plain won't boot.  Add a stick of plain memory to that though and it disables ECC functions letting you use the memory.

1. Fully Buffered or may be called Registered

Fully buffered RAM (FBDIMM) is NOT the same as Registered RAM => there's a significant difference between the two.    FBDIMMs buffer both the control and data lines, whereas registered modules only buffer the control lines.    There are also differences in the data transfer protocols.    The two are absolutely NOT compatible -- if a system requires FBDIMMs, that's what you have to use;  if it requires Registered modules, that's what you have to use -- and never the twain shall meet  :)      Note, however, that FBDIMMs, while faster than Registered modules, also use significantly more power.    The increased power consumption (and heat generation as a result) resulted in a lack of significant market acceptance ... and they did not survive the transition to DDR3 (and now DDR4) modules => so you can only get registered modules with the newer technologies.

#3 can be used in place of #2, but of course there is no ECC.

#2 can be mixed with #3, but all ECC functions become disabled when mixed.

NO to both of these.    On SOME motherboards it's true, but on many it's not.  In any event you should NOT plan on this being true.    The simple fact is if you're using a board that supports unbuffered ECC you should get ECC modules;  if you're using a board that does not, then buy non-ECC modules.  What IS true is that if the board supports ECC, but you're using a chip that does not, it will work okay with ECC modules installed (so if, for example, you're planning to upgrade to an ECC-supporting CPU you could buy ECC modules).

Archived