SmartPower for unRAID (enormous power saving potential!)

rix

I have recently migrated my Windows 10 "Server" setup to unRAID and will never look back. One thing I miss dearly, though.

I use my server for Plex mostly (and some further automation stuff) so this JBOD and its dockerization features feel more polished to me than RDPing into a native Windows machine. (Also yay to parity!)

On windows I had set up a set of rules within this awesome app: http://getsmartpower.co.uk/

To automatically go to sleep when network traffic was below 25kb/s AND CPU usage was below 30% for five minutes. The twist was: smartpower automatically woke up my server according to a schedule and kept it on. Also the server would wake up without magic packets, so any network traffic and ~10 seconds later my machine was available.

What this meant was the following: enormous power savings for me since my server ran only between 4pm-10pm on weekdays and 8am-24pm on weekends.

I feel like a proper adaption of this idea would be a great benefit for average unRAID users. Their savings could pay for 2 basic keys a year.

EDiT: Added savings calculator screenshot. I kid you not, this tool saved me 100€ last year (confirmed by a lower bill)

savings.PNG.21cc7c0edf6e7b8168e2514ea4ba006d.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

This is brilliant. I love that unRAID spins disks up one at a time, but this would be even better. My machine draws somewhere around 100watts when its on and idle. It would be great to be able to put it to sleep, that drops by over 90%.

I second this request!