Windows privacy loophole

chocolateandmilkwin

Ok so i just set up my unRaid server (i haven't bought it jet, i will when it works as it should, don't know if that has any affect on my problem)

So there's two ways to access the NAS in windows explorer as far as i know, by typing "\\ip-address" or "\\nas-network-name".

Either of them yields the same result, i can see the shares that i have created.

When i try and open a share using "\\ip-address" it works fine, it ask me for a username and a password.

When i try and open a share using "\\nas-network-name" i get full read/write access, no entering username and password, just directly to full access.

This kinda ruins the point of having users and passwords if anyone can just use the ip-address and get read/write access

Is there a fix for this or can i maybe disable access through the ip-address?

thank you

You should get prompted for a username/password in both cases.

Have you tried going into Windows Credentials Manager and deleting any stored credentials for the unRAID server under both the servername and ip address and try again.  It may be that windows already has stored credentials for going in via servername which is why you do not get prompted.

Archived