Global Share Disk Exclusion...duplicate files question

goinsnoopin

I could use some assistance and/or reassurance.  I set out to remove two drives from my array.  I took a photo of existing disk assignments…stopped array, did a new configuration and reassigned the drives making sure parity was in the correct slot.  Then I restarted the array which initiated the parity sync.  Once the parity sync started I attempted to start my VM and was unable to do so as my windows ISO and virtio ISO were missing…I thought this was strange…I then started to check my dockers and noticed that my library was missing from Plex….however I was able to add my media folders and initiate a new scan.  I also downloaded a new windows 7 iso and the virtio drivers and got my VM running.

I was perplexed as to why files were missing and then I discovered why…several weeks ago while converting from reiserfs to xfs, I added a Global Share Setting to exclude disk 1 to make sure that it stayed empty in preparation for removing the drive from the array.  I forgot to remove this global exclusion before starting the array with the new disk assignments. 

So the good news is I understand why files are missing from some of my shares (I browsed disk 1 and see the files are actually in their appropriate share folders).  So  I assume  once the parity sync completes successfully, I can stop the array and remove the global disk share exclusion and be all set, however due to redownloading the windows 7 iso, virtio iso, and adding folders to my plex docker, I will now have duplicate files when I remove this exclusion.  I assume I could always delete the known duplicates before removing this global disk exclusion???  Plex I am not worried about as I have no issue blowing out the docker container and rescanning my media folders.

Does this approach make sense?  Is there anything else I need to consider? 

I assume letting the parity sync complete is better than canceling it...removing the duplicates and exclusion and then restarting the parity sync (I am currently 16% complete on the parity sync and it is going to take a day to complete).

Thanks,

Dan

Archived