Disk Share vs User Share regarding Virus or attacker

kizer

I'm trying to figure out how to wrap my head around this and ask properly, but I guess i'll just shoot from the hip.

Currently I store all my files on my server using Disc Shares and they are all set to Export Hidden and Private so I can put them where I want them and accessed via Windows explorer like so.

\\192.168.1.127\disc1\Files

\\192.168.1.127\disc2\Files

\\192.168.1.127\disc3\Files

Access to all my files are done by User shares with Read Only access and mapped on a few machines to drives

My reasoning for this is to limit or attempt to hide what others on the network can/can not see. Now if a Virus hits any other machine on my network not using my account it would seem logical they couldn't do any write damage because they do not have permission to do so.

Can a virus crawl my machine and or my Disc Shares via my history or previous connections?

I'm just looking for a safe Practice to keep those that do not need to be accessing anything on my server to delete or alter. I can screw things up just fine on my own. lol

I'm trying to figure out how to wrap my head around this and ask properly, but I guess i'll just shoot from the hip.

Currently I store all my files on my server using Disc Shares and they are all set to Export Hidden and Private so I can put them where I want them and accessed via Windows explorer like so.

\\192.168.1.127\disc1\Files

\\192.168.1.127\disc2\Files

\\192.168.1.127\disc3\Files

Access to all my files are done by User shares with Read Only access and mapped on a few machines to drives

My reasoning for this is to limit or attempt to hide what others on the network can/can not see. Now if a Virus hits any other machine on my network not using my account it would seem logical they couldn't do any write damage because they do not have permission to do so.

Can a virus crawl my machine and or my Disc Shares via my history or previous connections?

I'm just looking for a safe Practice to keep those that do not need to be accessing anything on my server to delete or alter. I can screw things up just fine on my own. lol

Sure... Anything's possible.  Especially since as a general rule nobody ever reads UAC prompts that would give a virus access to that information. 

But, a virus is going to always go after the easy prey first.  As far as a NAS is concerned, that is always going to be mapped drives.  And it doesn't appear that you are doing that.  And no program requires UAC elevation to scan what drives are attached (or mapped)