Flash Drive... big PITA.

lishpy

Hey everyone,

I purchased a new hard drive and also bought a new flash drive to prepare to get my key Plus license upgrade. The reason I got the new flash, because my current flash was partially cracked, and although in working order, I didn't want to take any risk with the Plus license and having the drive fail. Anyway, my unRAID server was working flawlessly when I decided to upgrade and change flash drives.

I stopped the array, and activated a clean power down.

I then put in my new flash drive (4gb Sandisk Cruzer Micro) and formatted, labeled UNRAID.

Ran the syslinux -ma, then extracted unRAID 4.5beta7 to the flash drive.

Copied over the old flash drive's config folder, ejected then put in the unRAID system. After turning it on, it currently hangs on "Verifying DMI pool data..."

Seeing this happen before I turned the system off and put the old flash drive in. It does the same thing and won't boot unRAID. Kind of a pain in the butt because I have a headless system with no monitor, so I have to hook this up to my wallmounted tv downstairs to see it as a monitor.

Either way, are there any steps I should take to see what is causing this or on how to fix it?

I have reformatted the new flash drive and did the syslinux procedure all over again to the same results. Both flash drives are recognizable in my home computer and like I said the old flash drive lets me copy all the data without a problem. Both flash drives are recognized as well in the BIOS. Old flash drive was running unRAID 4.4.2.

Thanks again for the help.

Hey everyone,

I purchased a new hard drive and also bought a new flash drive to prepare to get my key Plus license upgrade. The reason I got the new flash, because my current flash was partially cracked, and although in working order, I didn't want to take any risk with the Plus license and having the drive fail. Anyway, my unRAID server was working flawlessly when I decided to upgrade and change flash drives.

I stopped the array, and activated a clean power down.

I then put in my new flash drive (4gb Sandisk Cruzer Micro) and formatted, labeled UNRAID.

Ran the syslinux -ma, then extracted unRAID 4.5beta7 to the flash drive.

Copied over the old flash drive's config folder, ejected then put in the unRAID system. After turning it on, it currently hangs on "Verifying DMI pool data..."

Seeing this happen before I turned the system off and put the old flash drive in. It does the same thing and won't boot unRAID. Kind of a pain in the butt because I have a headless system with no monitor, so I have to hook this up to my wallmounted tv downstairs to see it as a monitor.

Either way, are there any steps I should take to see what is causing this or on how to fix it?

I have reformatted the new flash drive and did the syslinux procedure all over again to the same results. Both flash drives are recognizable in my home computer and like I said the old flash drive lets me copy all the data without a problem. Both flash drives are recognized as well in the BIOS. Old flash drive was running unRAID 4.4.2.

Thanks again for the help.

Since it is a different flash drive, it could be as simple as you selecting it as the boot-device in your MB BIOS.

Joe L.

I'm sure Joe is right.

Get in the habit of checking the bios any time you change any hardware. Adding a new drive or changing a drive, yes even flash, can modify the boot sequence in the bios. I've gone as far as unselecting all the hard drives so they are not counted as boot devices.

Once your in the habit its not such a pita  :)

It is good practice to check the boot order whenever any attached disk (internal or external)

is changed.

On my MB shutting down with an external usb backup disk attached is guaranteed to change

the available boot devices listed in the BIOS, and their boot order in the following boot.

Thanks everyone for the help. I haven't been on a PC in years which is why I hadn't thought that the boot order had changed.

Kind of an annoyance considering I in fact switched the boot order back to USB-HDD and then switched the flash drive to a different USB port, and the BIOS changed it again.

I'll be waiting to get my new HD before I change everything again.

Archived