New Unraid 6 Build

Hi

I have a new UNRAID build in the works which will finally move me from my long standing ESXi install. The components i have for the new build are as follows...

1.) Gigabyte X99P-SLI Motherboard

2.) 64GB DDR4 Mem

3.) Xeon E5 2660 V3 CPU

4.) 2 x Samsung 840 EVO SSD

5.) 2 x Samsung 850 EVO SSD

6.) 1 x Samsung 950 Pro NVME SSD

My plan is to passthough the NVME drive direct to my main Windows 10 VM since that's going to be my gaming/productivity VM. All other VMs and docker/apps etc will be on the Samsung EVO SSDs.

Question: I want to get the best performance out of UNRAID and the componenets possible. Should I stick with my plan or can anyone recommend a better configuration?

Also, can UNRAID detect the onboard Intel RAID controller if I set the SSDs up in RAID 1 or RAID 0?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have a new UNRAID build in the works which will finally move me from my long standing ESXi install. The components i have for the new build are as follows...

1.) Gigabyte X99P-SLI Motherboard

2.) 64GB DDR4 Mem

3.) Xeon E5 2660 V3 CPU

4.) 2 x Samsung 840 EVO SSD

5.) 2 x Samsung 850 EVO SSD

6.) 1 x Samsung 950 Pro NVME SSD

My plan is to passthough the NVME drive direct to my main Windows 10 VM since that's going to be my gaming/productivity VM. All other VMs and docker/apps etc will be on the Samsung EVO SSDs.

Question: I want to get the best performance out of UNRAID and the componenets possible. Should I stick with my plan or can anyone recommend a better configuration?

Also, can UNRAID detect the onboard Intel RAID controller if I set the SSDs up in RAID 1 or RAID 0?

Thank you!

Anyone care to comment? I am keen to understand whether UNRAID can detect the Intel controller when configured in RAID mode?

thanks