What is avahi-daemon?

shimee

Hi All,

Just checking my syslog and noticing this line frequently appears, and it seems to be followed by a spindown shortly after. I worry that whatever this is it's bringing my drives up unnecessarily. My server is running fine but I feel this might be a potential problem.

Im on 6.0.1

Jan 17 11:24:54 Tower avahi-daemon[2479]: server.c: Packet too short or invalid while reading response record. (Maybe a UTF-8 problem?)

Does anyone know what this is and if I need to fix this?

Thanks

syslog.txt

A quick Google says:

The Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon implements Apple's Zeroconf architecture (also known as "Rendezvous" or "Bonjour"). The daemon registers local IP addresses and static services using mDNS/DNS-SD and provides two IPC APIs for local programs to make use of the mDNS record cache the avahi-daemon maintains.

Thanks for the reply - I should have mentioned I have searched google and the forums I guess. There are a few other threads about this or similar things from this process but nothing conclusive (most are unanswered).

I'm trying to figure out how zerconf or bonjour could be applicable. I do not have the AFP service enabled in unraid. I do not use any apple devices, though my gf has an ipad. It would probably help me if it was reporting an IP address in the log file, but 'server.c' has me scratching my head.

I guess more likely is it isnt exclusively related to zeroconf or bonjour but wider DNS/Discovery functions.

The question remains, do I need to worry about this and how to resolve it?

Archived