We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Gaming on VM remotely (sort of)

bardsleyb

SO I have looked up and I am trying to convince the wife to allow me to drop even more money on my unRAID build. My talk to her is the following.... I run things like Plex so my family can watch TV and movies all day, but I also Game on my unRAID box by passing a GPU through and my family watches TV without issue. Now, my wife has started to get into computer games as well. Currently she just plays the Sims 4. She wants to play this game by me spinning up her own Windows VM that she can play from her laptop. Her laptop is okay and all, but the server hardware is much better. The only issue I am having now is trying to get her to RDP or teamviewer into this VM from her cheap laptop on the couch. I tried Teamviewer and it worked for her, but it was pretty slow connection wise. I tried Windows RDP and that didnt even let the game come up for her at all. I did some searching on Google and found something called RemoteFX but that looks like its only for windows Server OS. Is there anything that i can use to allow my wife to play games on my unraid server via her laptop, while on the same network as the unraid server? One thing of note is that the wireless in my home is dual-band 5GHz 802.11ac... now she was trying to do this over WiFi, but i figured that the wireless in my home would have been fast enough to have a great connection between server and laptop. Maybe I was wrong about that? The wireless connection on her laptop shows to be 780Mbps when looking at that. Server is set at 1 Gig.

Look up steam in home streaming. That's what you need.

That looks like exactly what I want. I guess that any games on steam will work great that way but my wife's Sims 4 game will have to be played on the system itself. They offer the Sims 4 on origin but it's not on steam yet.

Look up steam in home streaming. That's what you need.

That looks like exactly what I want. I guess that any games on steam will work great that way but my wife's Sims 4 game will have to be played on the system itself. They offer the Sims 4 on origin but it's not on steam yet.

You can actually add non Steam games to steam.

Yep that did it. Thanks for the speedy reply. I tested it on my wifes laptop and everything ran buttery smooth. I haven't been a gamer in about a decade which is why I'm so far behind on the things steam can do. Unraid is bringing me back into the gaming world, that's how great this OS is! As long as I can keep her happy as she gets into gaming herself, I have an argument to buy the dual Xeons I want! This next build should be quite fun indeed!

Yep that did it. Thanks for the speedy reply. I tested it on my wifes laptop and everything ran buttery smooth. I haven't been a gamer in about a decade which is why I'm so far behind on the things steam can do. Unraid is bringing me back into the gaming world, that's how great this OS is! As long as I can keep her happy as she gets into gaming herself, I have an argument to buy the dual Xeons I want! This next build should be quite fun indeed!

Awesome!  Love to hear stories like this!!

Archived