Supermicro C2SEA + Memory Question

Hi All.

Still running my C2SEA - it just goes and goes so it says a lot about its stability.

With it now seeing the latest 6.1.7 unraid and a few dockers, the original memory is getting a bit thin (4GB).  Tried adding a couple more sticks of 2GB RAM and they don't work.  My older DDR3 2GB ram from another machine does work.

I suspect it has to do with the chip counts now...my older DIMMs are 16 chips total while the new ones are denser at 8 chips.  The memory controller in the C2SEA must not like the new stuff.

Is it as simple as sourcing out older DIMMs that have 16 chips vs the 8 now for the same speed, timings, etc. to get the upgrade?  RAM descriptions are not too precise out in the marketplace I have discovered.

Kev.

I suspect it has to do with the chip counts now...

Yes, e.g., Kingston KVR1333D3N9/2G will work, KVR1333D3S8N9/2G or KVR13N9S6/2 won't work.

Older ones will be difficult to find new, maybe on ebay.

Another option, would be to get 2 x 4GB and replace the ones you have, 4 non ECC dimms could diminish system stability, these should work, I've used them in various socket 775 boards, always worked, and can be found new, Crucial CT51264BA160B 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz (note there’s a similar model CT51264BA160BJ, these are single sided and won’t work).