Cooling Xenon E5-2600 v3 series

What cooler would users here suggest for a Xenon E5-2600 v3 series CPU? I've never bought a CPU without a cooler before, so this is a little new to me.

I'm considering LGA 2011v3 socket motherboards, but for coolers will this be no different from any other LGA 2011 socket motherboard? I mean in terms of cooler mounting points.

For example, this one mentions only LGA 2011 and Xenon E5-2600 (no v3). Would it work?

http://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-Heatsink-Cooling-LGA2011-SNK-P0048AP4/dp/B0090YPQJ2

Make sure you know what configuration the motherboard has for the heatsink mounting. There's the Narrow or Regular (square) configuration.

Most heatsinks come with hardware that fit both, but some don't, so know what you're buying. Nothing worse then not being able to power the system because the heatsink doesn't fit the motherboard mount.

I went through the same question the OP had.

The SuperMicro X9SLR-F mobo I bought has a Narrow CPU mounting configuration and I needed a heatsink to match.

I would think twice about the one you linked to, as it apparently is rated for 8400RPM and 52 decibels of noise (Unless the server lives somewhere far from living areas.. in which case it would probably be a fantastic cooler!!).

http://www.supermicro.com/ResourceApps/Heatsink_Matrix.aspx

Its little brother the SUPERMICRO SNK-P0050AP4 get excellent reviews around the web and would be a more suitable cooler for home use. It's what I will be buying. It also comes with square and narrow mounting hardware, so no worries about it not fitting... It's rated for 3800RPM and 38 decibels.

I would think twice about the one you linked to, as it apparently is rated for 8400RPM and 52 decibels of noise (Unless the server lives somewhere far from living areas.. in which case it would probably be a fantastic cooler!!).

http://www.supermicro.com/ResourceApps/Heatsink_Matrix.aspx

Its little brother the SUPERMICRO SNK-P0050AP4 get excellent reviews around the web and would be a more suitable cooler for home use. It's what I will be buying. It also comes with square and narrow mounting hardware, so no worries about it not fitting... It's rated for 3800RPM and 38 decibels.

Thanks; it's certainly been a learning experience. At first, I just thought, heck, find socket number, find cooler, how difficult can that be?

But as outsider mentioned, there are Narrow and Square ILMs and there don't seem to be many coolers for Narrow ILMs. Also, it takes some digging around to find what type of ILM is used. (It doesn't help that the manual for the X10SRL-F I'm thinking of shows a Square ILM in its illustrations for heatsink installation - admittedly with a disclaimer - while the mb diagram shows the Narrow ILM.)

The SUPERMICRO SNK-P0050AP4 looks like a good bet - but now I have to see whether I can get one locally.

I noticed that the Supermicro Heatsink Matrix lists a lot of passive coolers - is that a realistic option? Or does it require vast volumes of air moving through the case?

I noticed that the Supermicro Heatsink Matrix lists a lot of passive coolers - is that a realistic option? Or does it require vast volumes of air moving through the case?

No personal experience, but I read that those are designed for cases with crazy airflow and fancy hoods and such. I would stick with the one I posted...