[SOLVED] Plex Question - First Time Using Docker

CRD

Hi all. I'm confused as to which Docker I should be using. I understand the concept and I don't see any reports of any major performance issues. I've read through this good thread here: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41562.0 But I'm still confused.

Background:

I recently upgraded unRAID from version 5 to 6. At the same time I replaced 4 of 6 drives and I'm nearly done re-formatting (after much time spent moving files in and out of disks) all my disks to XFS. I've just got to re-finalize my new user share structure and from there PMS is the one thing I have left to do before I can sit down and just relax. I previously had the Phaze plugin installed with zero transcode, only Direct Play. I've configured the server perfectly and ran beautifully over a few years. I want to be able to transition to the Docker without losing these settings if possible and I don't have Plex Pass, just the standard Plex App.

Based on that, what's the recommended path for me, which Docker do I use? Thank you so much.  :)

I am using the Linuxserver version since they are an active team of people maintaining their containers.

The different versions behave a bit different with regards to updates when new releases are available from Plex and if you are interested in the PlexPass pre-releases or not.

I have only used needo and Linuxserver and I don’t expect to see any real difference in performance between any of the containers available.

I think you should start looking into on how to move your existing database to the new configuration first. Haven’t done that myself but you will probably find posts here and at the Plex forum on how to do that. Along the way you will probably learn a lot more about the different Plex containers available.

I am using the Linuxserver version since they are an active team of people maintaining their containers.

The different versions behave a bit different with regards to updates when new releases are available from Plex and if you are interested in the PlexPass pre-releases or not.

I have only used needo and Linuxserver and I don’t expect to see any real difference in performance between any of the containers available.

I think you should start looking into on how to move your existing database to the new configuration first. Haven’t done that myself but you will probably find posts here and at the Plex forum on how to do that. Along the way you will probably learn a lot more about the different Plex containers available.

Thanks for that. What's your reason why you went from needo's to Linuxserver? What are your thoughts on Limetech's docker? I suppose I could always start from scratch, I haven't found any guides on how to "upgrade" from plugin to any other docker apart from Needo's docker but I'll keep hunting around.

So apart from segregating PMS, are there any impact on performance with Plugin vs Docker?

Needo is no longer actively maintaining this container but I believe he was the first one making a Plex container. It also had some initial problems with setting permissions.

The Limetech container doesn’t support the PlexPass pre-releases that I like to play with (meaning seeing the bugs before they get fixed in the public release…)

Besides the Linuxserver container I do recommend Binhex that does a fantastic work with his containers. They don’t auto update, instead he test new releases before updating his containers.

If you don’t mind the skipping the upgrade step and instead just let Plex rescan your files that would probably make life easier.

If you haven’t used Docker containers before it takes some efforts to understand how you map your folders so that they are visible to the Plex app but this is more understanding the Docker concept itself rather than something being specific for Plex.

I haven’t any experience regarding performance Docker vs Plugin but my guess is that it should be minimal. Probably Docker would have some overhead but the concepts itself is “lightweight.” The most important factor related performance is to use an SSD where you have the Docker image and Plex database together with metadata.

Needo is no longer actively maintaining this container but I believe he was the first one making a Plex container. It also had some initial problems with setting permissions.

The Limetech container doesn’t support the PlexPass pre-releases that I like to play with (meaning seeing the bugs before they get fixed in the public release…)

Besides the Linuxserver container I do recommend Binhex that does a fantastic work with his containers. They don’t auto update, instead he test new releases before updating his containers.

If you don’t mind the skipping the upgrade step and instead just let Plex rescan your files that would probably make life easier.

If you haven’t used Docker containers before it takes some efforts to understand how you map your folders so that they are visible to the Plex app but this is more understanding the Docker concept itself rather than something being specific for Plex.

I haven’t any experience regarding performance Docker vs Plugin but my guess is that it should be minimal. Probably Docker would have some overhead but the concepts itself is “lightweight.” The most important factor related performance is to use an SSD where you have the Docker image and Plex database together with metadata.

Thank you so much for your help. I've had PMs running beautifully, in fact, much better than I expected using Docker, in particular the Linuxserver container. It's been a long 1 month road to upgrade. I upgraded 4 of my disks, and only realised towards the end of that upgrade that I perhaps should move to XFS and that part took the longest, shortly after upgrading to v6. Happy chappy now.

Thank you so much for your help. I've had PMs running beautifully, in fact, much better than I expected using Docker, in particular the Linuxserver container. It's been a long 1 month road to upgrade. I upgraded 4 of my disks, and only realised towards the end of that upgrade that I perhaps should move to XFS and that part took the longest, shortly after upgrading to v6. Happy chappy now.

Cool, thanks for feedback!