How does unRAID count devices?

Hey All,

I was trying to setup unRAID last night using the trial version but I got stuck trying to create an array because I had "Too many attached devices" Now I think this has something to do with the fact that I have more HDDs than the trial license supports.(I did some reading about this and I think that unRAID should still allow us to create an array but limit HDDs)

My question now is, in doing the setup what key I would need to buy. I have taken all my external HDDs out of the case with the intent of using them internally. this puts my count up to 10. Now this is pretty close to the 'Plus' license. but if I want to plug in external USB devices for the sake of using them under VMs, will this count towards my limit?

Thanks!

T

An external drive will be added as an unassigned device, will not be part of the array so will not count on your license. UnRaid counts, drives in the array, and cache drives as well as your parity drive towards the license.

Not true - that was how v5 worked, but now how v6 works.  I suspect the change in behaviour was one of the reasons the device limits in the licenses were raised significantly for v6.  unRAID v6 counts all storage devices plugged in to the machine regardless of whether they are assigned for use by unRAID or not.  The check is applied when the array is started so after it is started removable devices can be plugged in as required.  Note also that the pro license has no limit on attached devices - just on the maximum number that can be used by unRAID (currently 25).

An external drive will be added as an unassigned device, will not be part of the array so will not count on your license. UnRaid counts, drives in the array, and cache drives as well as your parity drive towards the license.

Ok, because the reason I am asking is to avoid getting the wrong license and having to pay more to upgrade later. I find it odd that on the trial you cannot setup an array at all if you have too many devices connected. How am I suppose to test this way? I mean at the very least it would be nice to be able to setup a parity and two drives, then lock the other drives until you purchase...

Not true - that was how v5 worked, but now how v6 works.  I suspect the change in behaviour was one of the reasons the device limits in the licenses were raised significantly for v6.  unRAID v6 counts all storage devices plugged in to the machine regardless of whether they are assigned for use by unRAID or not.  The check is applied when the array is started so after it is started removable devices can be plugged in as required.  Note also that the pro license has no limit on attached devices - just on the maximum number that can be used by unRAID (currently 25).

I was so excited to do this today and now I feel discouraged. I guess I'll disconnect all the other drives and give it a shot.  What do you mean by attached devices? Does this include other USB hardware?(audio cards, game controllers, etc.)

I was so excited to do this today and now I feel discouraged. I guess I'll disconnect all the other drives and give it a shot.  What do you mean by attached devices? Does this include other USB hardware?(audio cards, game controllers, etc.)

Note that I said USB Storage devices!  That means devices that present themselves as disk drives when attached.  There has been a request to ignore a USB thumbdrive (the one unRAID boots from is not counted) from this list but at the moment these are also counted. I am a not sure if it is easy to tell a USB thumbdrive from a USB attached hard disk other than by capacity so that might be why.

I have never tested it but is possible that if you have a USB controller that is being hidden from unRAID because you intend to pass it through to a VM then unRAID may not see devices attached to such a controller.  You would have to wait for feedback from someone who is in this position to see unless Limetech themselves chip in.  However I suspect that this is such an edge case that it is probably not relevant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Hello,
since this is always first match on aunt Google question page here a hint which nobody wrote here because it's a new feature:

If you let install the beta "Connect" plugin from unraid you get on top right an orange ball icon with dropdown menu arrow on it's right side.
You can select there last point "Redeem Activation Code" and on the new popup page you get an overview of your system with counted disks by Unraid for licensing.