GPU passthrough not working when using AV receiver

rmigita

I've started playing with unRAID and have run into an issue with using an unRAID VM with a passthrough GPU.  The passthrough works fine when I plug in a regular monitor via HDMI, however, when I plug the video card into an AV receiver, I get no signal and the VM doesn't fully start.

I've got my unRAID host plugged into my AV receiver to act as our HTPC (and media server/storage).  When I originally set the VM up, I had left the PCI-E card as the primary adapter in the BIOS.  The VM would boot with the card passed through, but it would BSOD, reboot, and then go into recovery mode.

So I then switched the host to use the onboard as the primary and now the receiver claims there is no signal and the VM never connects to the network.  I assume it's in some form of BSOD, but I can't see anything on the display.  So I moved the unRAID host and plugged it directly into a monitor instead of the receiver and it boots fine.  The monitor has built in speakers and audio is working.

Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?  I can't imagine why using different output devices would cause the VM to hang.  I've got another video card on order to test but I'm not sure it will make a difference.

TIA!

I had a similar issue with my onkyo amp. I cant remember quite what i did but it was into do with the hdmi setting within the amp.

Also you must have the amp set to the correct hdmi channel before you start the vm. If you dont the graphics card doesnt see its plugged into an hdmi and the display on card defaults to the dvi port.

Once the vm has started it you can switch hdmi channels on the amp with no probs but you must start the vm with amp on the correct hdmi channel

hope this helps