unassigned disk

Am I able to place my vm disks and or docker image/folders on an unassigned disk?

I added a SSD as an unassigned disk to my array, I can see the disk/share from a remote system just fine, but when I go to add a share within unraid that I can use within the system, the disk is not listed for use.

Is this outside of the scope for the unassigned disk plugin or am I doing something wrong?  All I want is to be able to mainly use the SSD for VM disks as opposed to leaving them on my cache disk which is a standard HDD and houses my docker image and app folders.

Am I able to place my vm disks and or docker image/folders on an unassigned disk?

I added a SSD as an unassigned disk to my array, I can see the disk/share from a remote system just fine, but when I go to add a share within unraid that I can use within the system, the disk is not listed for use.

Is this outside of the scope for the unassigned disk plugin or am I doing something wrong?  All I want is to be able to mainly use the SSD for VM disks as opposed to leaving them on my cache disk which is a standard HDD and houses my docker image and app folders.

It is not outside the scope of the Plugin at all. I do this (for now at least) and its works perfectly. I have an SSD mounted as "app" which is set to Automount and to Share. Auto mount is done at system boot up and not array start so that means that when the array does start this disk is ready to be accessed by any Docker or VM.

It is accessible as /mnt/disks/app and also by accessing my main server via SMB \\main\app

I created three folders within that share and the structure goes as follows (which may give you some indication of my setup):

- docker

- kvm

- downloads

As an example of how I use them with Docker and VM Config:

In my docker config I have the docker .img location set to:

/mnt/disks/app/docker/docker.img

In my Windows 10 VM Config I have the source file set to:

<source file='/mnt/disks/app/kvm/windows-vm-main/vdisk1.img'/>

Note that they are both using the unassigned disk.

A bit more detail (if you need it):

Folder 1:

docker - docker .img is stored at this level

Sublevel 1

app data - contains folders for each of my docker containers

Sublevel 2:

openvpn-as config folder

embyserver config folder

apache config folder

etc .....

Folder 2:         

kvm - contains a folder for each of my vm's

Sublevel 1:

windows 10 folder

ubuntu 15.10 folder

etc .....

Folder 3:

downloads - contains download folders used by a number of apps and plugins

Sublevel 1:

downloads-complete

downloads -incomplete

backup

etc .....

I don't have redundancy in this as it is literally just an SSD mounted outside the array and mounting a RAID-1 BTRFS Pool outside the array is beyond the scope of the UD Plugin - just recently confirmed by the UD developer at the moment - (https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45807.msg448096#msg448096) which is why I have been considering moving everything back to my Cache device (https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=46811.0) BUT I haven't made the jump yet as I really like the idea of keep everything seperate and logically seperate. To get around this I backup the config and vm folders to the protected array daily.

Anyway I hope this is helpful to you. This setup has been working perfectly for over a year now. If you have any more questions just let me know.

• 1 month later...

So I finally got to playing with this and something is off.

I see my main disk.  I format a participant share it. Call it "unassigned"

In Windows,  I see \\tower\unassigned,  but it does not appear in /mnt/disks

Instead,  I see it at /unassigned,  in the root,  same place as /mnt, etc

I made a vm in /mnt/disks/Libreelec/vdisk.img,  it starts and works,  but I cannot find do this img anywhere. Not in unassigned,  cache,  anywhere. Ls -la,  nothing,  so it doesn't appear hidden. But where is it. I checked the flash,  nothing anywhere.

So yeah. Something is off with all of this. But I can't figure it out.  What does your unassigned disk section look like under unassigned disk on the main tab.  Is it disk then share? Or. Just the disk?

So I finally got to playing with this and something is off.

I see my main disk.  I format a participant share it. Call it "unassigned"

In Windows,  I see \\tower\unassigned,  but it does not appear in /mnt/disks

Instead,  I see it at /unassigned,  in the root,  same place as /mnt, etc

I made a vm in /mnt/disks/Libreelec/vdisk.img,  it starts and works,  but I cannot find do this img anywhere. Not in unassigned,  cache,  anywhere. Ls -la,  nothing,  so it doesn't appear hidden. But where is it. I checked the flash,  nothing anywhere.

So yeah. Something is off with all of this. But I can't figure it out.  What does your unassigned disk section look like under unassigned disk on the main tab.  Is it disk then share? Or. Just the disk?

i think you need to post some screen shots.  I cannot quite understand what you are seeing or trying to say.

It would seem I did something wrong. 

I. Say this because I got it to work now..

When it wasn't working,  I only had a drive name.  Call it "ud".  So last night I Remounted,  and gave it a new name.  Except,  instead of "ud" I made. It /mnt/ud.

As soon as I hit enter, it became /mnt/disks/ud and I could see this as a path when adding a vm.

When I did it before,  I saw "disks"  as selectable,  but that's it. Now it's /mnt/disks/ud and I see the disk usage growing.

So not sure why,  but it definitely wants /mnt/name on the main page when naming the unassigned device