VM - Can't install Windows [SOLVED]

Hi guys,

I can't install Windows at all. It seems like installation stuck at the very end. Windows 10 says Just a moment and its been like that for over an hour now. Same thins happened for Windows 7 too. I have uploaded the Diagnostics. Thanks in advance for your help.

This "could" be related to the weird CPU core issue. I have found that when you are initially installing Windows (and sometimes when it updates) in order for it to complete successfully only 1 core can be allocated to the VM. Once the Installation / Update (And for updates this has not been an issue for some months now for me) is complete then you can stop the VM, raising the number of cores to the desired amount and then start the VM just fine.

Give it a try and post back how you go. I'm sure we can get you going  :)

Thanks for your reply. It did install it eventually but extremely slow, not usable. I wonder it because I am doing Parity check and pre-clearing a HDD. But I checked my CPU and RAM usage, not even 50% are used. It is extremely frustrating.

Is the VM image on the Array? If so that might account for the slow speeds.

In a parity check, the system reads all the data disks and the parity disk, comparing computed parity with stored parity. If you're writing to a disk that is being read as part of this operation performance WILL be impacted IMHO.

The "why" is simple, you're significantly thrashing the disk (via the parity check) that you're also writing to (installing VM OS). It's head is "bouncing back and forth" between the next sector it needs to read for the parity check and the next sector it needs to write for VM installation.

While you CAN use the array during a parity check, it's simply a good idea not to. Like many others, I do all my parity checks at times when the system isn't going to be otherwise used (last day of the month at 1am)  it WILL work, but it's going to be much slower at BOTH the activity you want to do AND the parity check during the time it's trying to do both. If you're trying to do something that's relatively low-bandwidth (e.g. reading / wiring to a "small" file) you probably won't notice it; but for high-bandwidth activities (e.g. streaming video, wiring large amounts of files to disk etc) you can easily notice the effects.**

** Kudos to previous posts by garycase here for allot of the content above.

Obviously if the VM file is not on your array then this is not your issue. If it's not your RAM or CPU though I have to fall to the disk. Let us know how you get on.

If you're issue is not related to the above, post a diagnostic file for your system. "Tools>Diagnostics>Download" and also your VM XML. I had made an assumption that your system was running ok, vm config was ok etc BUT perhaps that is not the case?

My VM is in Array. I guess I will just wait until Parity check is finished. Thanks again mate.

Ah, I thought that might be the case.

In truth, you should not use your array at all for disk images when running parity. You should run it on a disk outside the array (either a cache disk or a disk outside the array using the unassigned devices plug-in: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45807.0). All still works fine and dandy using this method.

The easiest is to use a cache disk as this is the "supported" method in unRAID however MANY of us do run them from disks outside the array and they work perfect. You will get even better performance from your VM if your Cache disk and / or Unassigned Device is an SSD not to mention better Array Write Speeds (just ensure that the "mover" executes at a interval you're happy with as if you're not using a BTRFS RAID-1 Cache Pool you have NO redundancy for that data).

If you decide to do what I mention above then remember when you're setting up the share for the VM disks (On either the Cache or Unassigned Device) be sure to set it at cache only or it will be moved to the array by the mover. Like I mention, if you use a Cache device and want redundancy for the data / VM Files then you will have to use a BTRFS RAID-1 Cache Pool (2 or more disks). Currently there is no method for mounting a RAID-1 Pool of Disks via Unassigned Devices so to protect you're data you will have to schedule regular backups that you are comfortable with.

Also note, that the above advice relates to the vdisk which the OS resides on. It belongs on a disk that is not on the Array HOWEVER if you want to create a vdisk on the array to store generic files or even things like games, that's probably ok (Reference Jonp). It's the random IO that is generated by an OS which causes such a bad experience when the storage for it is on the parity protected array.

Hope you're having fun! :)

Hi danioj,

That is a brilliant piece of advice. I will reinstall it and use my Cahce, which is a SSD. Thanks heaps mate. 

My VM is in Array. I guess I will just wait until Parity check is finished. Thanks again mate.

Ah, I thought that might be the case.

In truth, you should not use your array at all for disk images when running parity. You should run it on a disk outside the array (either a cache disk or a disk outside the array using the unassigned devices plug-in: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45807.0). All still works fine and dandy using this method.

The easiest is to use a cache disk as this is the "supported" method in unRAID however MANY of us do run them from disks outside the array and they work perfect. You will get even better performance from your VM if your Cache disk and / or Unassigned Device is an SSD not to mention better Array Write Speeds (just ensure that the "mover" executes at a interval you're happy with as if you're not using a BTRFS RAID-1 Cache Pool you have NO redundancy for that data).

If you decide to do what I mention above then remember when you're setting up the share for the VM disks (On either the Cache or Unassigned Device) be sure to set it at cache only or it will be moved to the array by the mover. Like I mention, if you use a Cache device and want redundancy for the data / VM Files then you will have to use a BTRFS RAID-1 Cache Pool (2 or more disks). Currently there is no method for mounting a RAID-1 Pool of Disks via Unassigned Devices so to protect you're data you will have to schedule regular backups that you are comfortable with.

Also note, that the above advice relates to the vdisk which the OS resides on. It belongs on a disk that is not on the Array HOWEVER if you want to create a vdisk on the array to store generic files or even things like games, that's probably ok (Reference Jonp). It's the random IO that is generated by an OS which causes such a bad experience when the storage for it is on the parity protected array.

Hope you're having fun! :)

my problem is similar but when i launch vnc i cant find any of my storage devices it says i need device drivers but i dont think thats the case

Hi fankgore77. Based on your brief description I don't think your issue is the same as the OP. In order to install Windows you do need drivers in the install process to allow the setup process to find your storage devices.

If I think you're having the same issue I had then these are my notes from back then:

A couple, but none that couldn't be intuitively resolved.

1) Windows 10 Setup didn't find any HDD to install to. So I downloaded the latest virtio iso here:

https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.105-1/

and installed the amd64 viostor for W8.1 driver at the "Load Driver" prompt in W10 Setup. Once loaded Setup found the Virtual Disk I created in VM Setup in Unraid.

2) On setup restart the machine "hung" and went into paused mode. When I tried to resume I got an error from Unraid KVM. I had to destroy the VM from the command line using commands I found here:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-kvm-stop-start-guest-virtual-machine/

I then realised that there was an issue where the VM would only go through the setup process if there was only 1 core allocated to the VM. Once installed the cores could be increased without issue. Note however that in the past this issue impacted upgrades of the OS. I think it has been fixed now but if it does come back it can be solved by reducing the CPU cores back to 1 while the setup / update finishes and then increase them once done.

3) Windows did not have a built in network card driver. So I used the amd64 NetKVM for W8.1 driver on the above iso and it found the network device and installed fine.

There are a few "other" PCI Devices which W10 can't find a driver for but I haven't looked at them yet. They are not interfering with the operation of the VM.

Hope this helps.

By the way danioj, any idea where to increase VM screen session, mine seems to time out after 2/3 mins inactivity.

I assume you mean the vnc session via the WEB GUI? I don't know how to "increase" the timeout as I wasn't aware that such a variable existed. I am at work so I cant check BUT you could have a look at the VM XML.

However for administrative processes I don't use the WEBGUI I use a VNC Client from my PC and connect to the port (usually something like 5900 or 5901 I think). It never seems to timeout for me BUT then again I "think" the desktop clients have a "keep alive" option.

I use OSX and I cant remember the name of the client I use - and cant check as I am at work - BUT something like RealVNC in Windows / Linux should work I think.

Yes sorry I was talking about WEB Gui, I will look at the XML. Do you have any instruction on how to use VNC client? Or is it just matter of using my Tower ip and using port 5900/5901?

No problems mate. To quote Chris Tarrant: "They are only easy if you know the answers ..."

It is that simple. Check the VM Tab in the WEBGUI for the port number that they are running on - lets say 5900 (I might have the range wrong but you get the idea) and then lets say your unRAID box is 192.168.1.2 then you would put this in the VNC Client:

192.168.1.2:5900 and press connect.

Easy Peasy!

thanks for responding best help ive had all day but so far i got it to install windows 10 and all that on vnc but i still have the black screen problem when i try booting it up on one of the graphics cards any ideas?

Advised frankgore77 (in response to support Question via PM) to create a new thread under v6 support and to include all the required information to help us get him through this issue. Will pick this up there.

No performance issue that it seems like takes for ever to do parity check.

I will have a look at that Case. THANKS again.

Mate, Could I ask you a few more question. My Parity is 4tb and I am using a basic Seagate HDD. Can you recommend best HDD for Parity. And I need a very good case which will keep my HDDs cool. Just for your info, I am using 3 (5 bays) Icy Box, which can hold up to 15 HDDs.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that disk for Parity. Is there any performance issue you are experiencing that makes you think it is not suitable? What specific model is it?

As for your H/W choices:

I used a Fractal Design R5. Great Cooling and Great HDD Capacity (8 - 3.5" HDD positions (can also accommodate 2.5" units); 2 - 2.5" dedicated SSD unit positions (mounted behind the mobo pane - e.g. for Cache Pool); 2 - 5.25" bays (removable) which can accommodate 2 3.5" HDD's too: http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r5-black

You can also add a Caselabs Internal Caddy (http://www.caselabs-store.com/hdd-cage-assy-standard/) to this setup to add support for 4 more drives => That's 14 3.5" disks plus 2 2.5".

If you choose this case and use the Caddy then you're limiting your ability to use a FULL size Video Card. This might be an issue if you want to use VM's and PCIe pass-through. You'll be limited to a SFF Video Card like an R9 Nano (https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/R9NANO-4G/).

Anyway - depending on what you want - I feel the case is excellent. Great build quality, great cooling (as I noted) and very quiet.

Hi

just to let you know. I followed your instruction and it took me only about 5 mins to install Windows 10  ;D

By the way one thing I can't seem to do is connect via VNC, all it says is connecting but never connects.

Hi I am glad that you have managed to get things up and running. With respect to your VNC issue, I have noticed that some clients don't work with unRAID VM's for some reason. I am now home so I can check the name of the client I use, and it's TurboVNC: https://sourceforge.net/projects/turbovnc/

It has a very simple interface and works perfectly for me to connect to unRAID VM's. The interface is simple and clean. See screenshot with the details I use to connect to a VM running on my backup server.

Screen_Shot_2016_02_29_at_4_47_49_PM.jpg

Remember that if your issues are resolved to add the prefix [solved] to the subject of the initial post.

Thanks again, do I have to install a client in my VM Windows?

No. Install the VNC client on whatever machine you're using to connect to unRAID and the VM. The VNC Server you're connecting to, to access the VM via VNC is already built into unRAID/KVM.

Alternatively for a better experience (now that you actually have Windows installed) you can (and probably should) use Microsoft RDP.