Building a NAS box

ashman70

I am interested in replacing one of my primary NAS's and building it myself. I have my eye on a U-NAS chassis that holds eight drives. I think a number of people on this forum have purchased U-NAS chassis and I am curious to know their thoughts on the quality and workmanship. Unfortunately it looks like they only deal direct but I am curious to know of they come with drive trays or if they are extra like the power supply.

I have the U-NAS NSC-800 as well as NSC-400 and the quality is average. They ship with Drive bays included. I got the shipment directly from China.

They are good for low powered Mini-ITX boards where you have all SATA ports on the board even if it’s possible to install a SATA controller in the NSC-800.

There is not much space in this case so you need a low profile CPU cooler and fan.

Have a look here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=32704.0

I would consider a slightly bigger case just to get some more flexibility and better access to the motherboard.

Haven’t really done any proper research lately but here are a few that comes to mind but they might be ”a lot bigger”.

• Silverstone DS380. Mini-ITX, hot swap drives is good but the case is still to compact especially if you need to use a PCI card.
  • Fractal Design Arc Midi R2. Midi Tower, ATX, mATX, Mini-ITX, no hot swap but good quality and great cooling.
  • Lian Li PC-Q26. Mini Tower, Mini-ITX, hot swap drives, good cooling and excellent quality. 

I've also had a look at the Silverstone DS380 which is a nice box, but I've heard the ariflow is not great.

I'm interested in hearing from people who have done builds using either the DS380 or the U-NAS chassis.

At this point I am leaning towards the U-NAS chassis because its the form factor I want, but I'm not totally convinced. I don't like the capacitors at the rear of the backplane on the DS380 though.

Are the bays in the DS380 hot swap?

Archived