Help with using IPMI to get into BIOS on Asrock motherboard

tmchow

Just built a new system around an Asrock 3C224D4I-14S mobo which supports IPMI.  I"m new to both IPMI and Unraid :)

I connected to the Unraid web interface, but can't see any of the HDs I have connected to the motherboard via the SAS connector.  My assumption is I need to get into the BIOS to tweak something.  I want to use IPMI for this, well because afterall, one of the biggest draws of this motherboard was not needing to connect the server to a keyboard, monitor or mouse.

I've managed to connected remotely over my network with Jviewer and am able to connect to the console (hurray!).  However, I can't figure out how to get into the motherboard bios and looking for tips on how to do it.

I'm power cycling the system through the remote console session, and if I hold down F2 or <del> on the virtual keyboard during boot up, I don't get the bios. Instead, I get the Lime Tech boot menu, where I can choose between 3 options:

Unraid

Unraid without plugins (safe mode)

Memtest

How in the world do I get to the bios?  Everything I've read says the hotkey for Asrock is F2 or <del>.  I can't get either to work.   

(Please don't tell me I need to open the server and unplug the USB key.  I head a Sandisk Ultra fit tiny usb key plugged directly into the motherboard's build in USB header which is behind the drive cage).

I finally fixed it.

Looks like I can only get to the bios if I'm connected to remote console using the dedicated LAN port for IPMI.  The mobo I have has 3 ethernet ports -- 2 "regular" ones, and 1 dedicated for IPMI.

Once I connected that IPMI port to my switch, I was able to remote connect to the console, reboot and "hold down" F2 on bootup.

Archived