[SOLVED] Restoring a VM from Windows Image

Hey Guys,

Recently replacemented my cache drive and was able to recover/transfer everything except for my windows VM.  I have an image backup of the machine from the windows tool, but am struggling to recover it.  On a typical machine I would boot from a windows disk and then point to an attached USB drive and load the image using the windows recovery tool.  I am trying the same thing with the VM.  I am booting into the windows ISO, but am unable to point to the USB.  I have installed an external USB and selected the USB from the VM config so it is seeing it, but does boot/load within recovery console.  I have also tried to point to it within the array but unable to connect that way either. Hopefully this all makes sense.  Anyone have an idea of how to load my previous windows recovery image onto a new VM in UNRAID?  Thanks for you help!!

I use Acronis and boot from Acronis boot ISO on the Windows VM and restore from a network location.  Didn't see what tool you were using but if it will restore from a network location then just create a recovery ISO image from it and boot from that and restore from the network would be my suggestion.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for replying.  Sounds like I am attempting something similar.  I have a the Windows Install ISO mounted and I am booting into the recovery console.  Within this console it asks to point to the image, which I created earlier and it is stored on the network.  It does not allow me to "browse" to the file location and instead asks for the file path, but it fails each time I try to point to the image.  For example, my image is located here:  \\tower\cache\WindowsImageBackUp\UNRAID-Win7\Backup 2016-03-10\ .  After entering the image location it asks for the network credentials, it defaults to an odd domain of MININT-AS426KG, so I use a "\" in my username to get out of the domain.  Then I get an error saying the domain can not be reached. 

So bottom line, I don't think windows is seeing the folder on the network.  Anything special I have to enter to get to the network? 

Hi Bob,

Thanks for replying.  Sounds like I am attempting something similar.  I have a the Windows Install ISO mounted and I am booting into the recovery console.  Within this console it asks to point to the image, which I created earlier and it is stored on the network.  It does not allow me to "browse" to the file location and instead asks for the file path, but it fails each time I try to point to the image.  For example, my image is located here:  \\tower\cache\WindowsImageBackUp\UNRAID-Win7\Backup 2016-03-10\ .  After entering the image location it asks for the network credentials, it defaults to an odd domain of MININT-AS426KG, so I use a "\" in my username to get out of the domain.  Then I get an error saying the domain can not be reached. 

So bottom line, I don't think windows is seeing the folder on the network.  Anything special I have to enter to get to the network?

So you made the image using Windows Backup and Restore?

If so maybe this link will help: http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/63776-image-restore-network-location.html

I have used Acronis so long I'm not familiar with the built in option any more - sorry.

Hi Bob,

You should be more specific about your system.

I can guess its a Win7 Image, but is it x86 or x64? What unRAID version? 6.1 or 6.2 (beta)?

Depending on your system, there may be more than one issue.

1) Windows 7 Recovery/Installation Disk has no USB3 (xhci) Support, be sure to set the USB of your VM to USB2 (ehci) (default in 6.1)

2) Recovery/Installation Disk does not come with virtio network drivers.

3) x86 Windows has limitied support for UEFI (ovfm)... Select Seabios when creating the VM

If 2) is your only issue, you are probably stuck with loading the drivers.

Make sure to attach not only the Windows ISO, but also virtio drivers. You can add driver in the recovery wizzard (See

(at around 7:00))

If I remember correctly, you have to connect as "anonymous" (empty PW) to your share if you only have root as a user.

The Installation media has a command line somewhere in the recovery options.

You could type "ipconfig" to see if it has a network card and/or correct ip.

Or you connect to your unraid host and type "arp" your VM should show up with its mac address.

*MININT-xxxxx is a random hostname, that every installation/recovery environment gets and every windows system takes its own hsotname/domain as the default for any network authentication. Nothing odd here :)

2) Recovery/Installation Disk does not come with virtio network drivers.
Very good point and reminded me that I have my MB Nic's passed through.  They are "Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection" which have drivers in my Acronis Boot image in them.  Sorry jellis I forgot that.

Thank you both for your help.  I fumbled my way through the recovery process.  I ended up purchasing Acronis and it made the whole process a lot easier.  I even learned quite a bit about the VM XML.  I will try to be more clear about my situation next time. 

Thanks!