[SOLVED] REISERFS problem and can't run reiserfsck (v5.0.4) (Syslog attached)

(My understanding of all of the below is a bit shaky, so bear with me if I use some terms incorrectly)

My Unraid (v5.0.4) has 20 disks and five shares. Two of these shares ("Edit" and "Files") both have disk7 (a WD 6TB drive) as part of their shares. Neither of these shares will allow me to write to them.

My syslog (attached) seems to indicate that disk7 is indeed the culprit:

Mar 25 22:06:58 Server shfs/user: shfs_mkdir: mkdir: /mnt/disk7/Edit/Eliminators/Eliminators Titles (5) Input/output error

Mar 25 22:06:58 Server kernel: REISERFS warning: reiserfs-5090 is_tree_node: node level 3942 does not match to the expected one 2

Mar 25 22:06:58 Server kernel: REISERFS error (device md7): vs-5150 search_by_key: invalid format found in block 322254819. Fsck?

Mar 25 22:06:58 Server kernel: REISERFS (device md7): Remounting filesystem read-only

I went into Maintenance Mode and tried to run reiserfsck check on md7 via telnet. However, when I get to the "Do you want to run this program?" prompt and answer "Yes" I receive this:

Failed to open the device '__check/dev/md7': No such file or directory

Strange (or maybe not strange) sidenote

If you notice, you will see that there are two underscores in front of check in that command line above. Despite all the instructions that I found seemingly using two checks (reiserfsck --check/dev/md7), that never worked for me and only brought up a large menu of commands. Only when I used "reiserfsck __check/dev/md7 " did the "Do you want to run this program?" prompt come up.

I'm not sure what to do next? I'd really appreciate if anyone could offer me some guidance.

Thanks so much.

syslog.txt

I am hoping that someone could take a look at the attached PNG and help me understand the results and perhaps advise with the next step (I can't copy & paste from the command interface in Windows, sorry).

EDIT: It seems that because it is suggesting that I use the --rebuild-tree command, that I should follow the instructions found in the Wiki, right?

From the Wiki:

At the conclusion of the reiserfsck --check command, a report will be output. If errors are detected, this report may specify an additional action to take. The most common ones are to re-run reiserfsck specifying the --fix-fixable switch or the --rebuild-tree switch, for example:

reiserfsck --fix-fixable /dev/md1 [answer with Yes when prompted. (capital Y and lower case es)]

If your file system has only minor issues, then running reiserfsck --fix-fixable should be all that is necessary.

Important Note!!! Do NOT run reiserfsck with the --rebuild-sb or --rebuild-tree options, unless you are instructed to by the output of a previous run of reiserfsck or by an expert user! They are last-resort options, to repair a severely damaged Reiser file system, and recover as much as possible. They rarely repair the system to perfection, and there may be a little data loss. They do a great job, and make the drive usable again, but it's possible files may be lost or damaged, or moved into the lost+found folder. The --rebuild-tree option will almost always create a lost+found folder and place in it the files, folders, and parts of files it can recover. It will then be up to you to rename them and restore those files and folders to their correct locations. Many times, it will be possible to identify them by their contents and size.

Sorry for my caution--I just don't want to make a stupid mistake, and I know all too well that I am capable of doing just that.

Thanks!

TELNET.png.94ba96ffdf80903f97dff924e9f14135.png

FYI:  you CAN cut and paste from a Windows TELNET session.  In the upper left corner of the command prompt window with the TELNET session is the command prompt icon.  Click on it and you will get a menu drop down.  Go to the edit menu item and "Select All" and then "Copy" and you will get something like this:

Media2 login: root
Linux 4.1.17-unRAID.
Last login: Sat Mar 12 02:03:27 -0600 2016 on /dev/pts/3 from 192.168.0.171.
root@Media2:~# cd /boot
root@Media2:/boot# ls
MCPrep.sh*     extra_old/    make_bootable.bat*  previous/
backup_files/  install.txt*  make_bootable_mac*  readvz*
bzimage*       ldlinux.c32*  memtest*            smarthistory/
bzroot*        ldlinux.sys*  packages/           syslinux/
changes.txt*   license.txt*  preclear.sh*        unmenu/
config/        logs/         preclear_reports/   unmenu_install*
root@Media2:/boot#

EDIT: It seems that because it is suggesting that I use the --rebuild-tree command, that I should follow the instructions found in the Wiki, right?

Yes - the screenshot confirms corruption and you should rerun reiserfsck with --rebuild-tree instead of the --check option to fix it.

FYI:  you CAN cut and paste from a Windows TELNET session.  In the upper left corner of the command prompt window with the TELNET session is the command prompt icon.  Click on it and you will get a menu drop down.  Go to the edit menu item and "Select All" and then "Copy" and you will get something like this:

Thanks for teaching me that!

Thanks everyone! The --rebuild-tree has completed and the drive seems to be healthy. I ended up with about 130 orphan files, but I'm pretty confident I can figure out what they are and where they go when I have the time.

I'm currently running a parity check. Thanks again!