Data Syncing within same computer

Is there a plugin that would allow me to sync data from an external hard drive into my array, which might already have some of the data in it? There are plugins like BTSync, but most of these are for two separate computers. I want something similar to SyncToy for windows which will allow me to choose two folders and move the data from one to another, while allowing me to chose to contribute, overwrite, or skip files being added.

Thanks!

Is there a plugin that would allow me to sync data from an external hard drive into my array, which might already have some of the data in it? There are plugins like BTSync, but most of these are for two separate computers. I want something similar to SyncToy for windows which will allow me to choose two folders and move the data from one to another, while allowing me to chose to contribute, overwrite, or skip files being added.

Thanks!

First an foremost you need to get the "external" drive to be recognised by unRAID.

First install Community Applications:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40262.0

This plugin will allow you to easily search for and add any of the unRaid docker or plugin applications.

Screen_Shot_2016_03_27_at_6_58_23_PM.png

The Plugin you are searching for that will allow unRAID to recognise the "external" drive is called Unassigned Devices:

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45807.0

Once you have installed unassigned devices then plug in your external drive and you now have something to play with. An extra section will be added to the unRAID GUI on the Main Tab.

Screen_Shot_2016_03_27_at_6_57_58_PM.png

Internally to unRAID your external drive will be mounted at (You will need this if you decide to use a tool like midnight commander which I will discuss below):

/mnt/disks/<drive label>

In the example of my External usb Drive (as shown in the Screenshot above) it is at:

cd /mnt/disks/portable/

Note, even though it is called "ASMT109x-_Fast_S34BJ9CF221402" in the GUI, you are able to specify a mount point name. Note, to do so you have to have the drive "un mounted". This is not necessary to do what you need to do though.

You can choose options (that may help in transferring files, depending on what you use) on the GUI "Auto Start" and "Share". The former will auto mount the drive when it is plugged in / recognised by unRAID and the latter will share it across the network via SMB like any other share.

Screen_Shot_2016_03_27_at_7_05_56_PM.png

Now to the tool. There are a number of tools available to you.

If you want to use the command line then it's midnight commander all the way.

Note: you CAN use just standard CLI tools such as "cp" and "mv" etc BUT don't do so as root user as you will stuff up the permissions. I do NOT recommend doing this.

- telnet or ssh into the CLI and type "mc" e.g. me doing it on my OSX machine

Note if you're a Windows user then use Putty:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

-From OSX, open a Terminal prompt and access the unRAID server like below:

daniels-imac:~ Daniel$ telnet -l root main
Trying 192.168.1.2...
Connected to main.danioj.lan.
Escape character is '^]'.
Linux 4.1.18-unRAID.
Last login: Sun Mar 27 18:20:55 +1100 2016 on /dev/pts/2 from daniels-imac.danioj.lan.
root@main:~# mc

Midnight Commander will start and you will be presented with a nice CLI GUI which you can interface with the Mouse or Keyboard.

Screen_Shot_2016_03_27_at_6_55_53_PM.png

Alternatively IF you want to use Docker you can use (also installed via Community Applications):

Dolphin - Dolphin is KDE's default file manager. With this docker, you can access the dolphin interface through a web browser:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39413.0

Krusader - Krusader is a fully featured file manager, highly configurable. Full gui in a RDP container accessible via browser:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37209

Alternatively IF you want to use Windows environment (which of course requires a seperate PC of VM) and move / copy files over SMB (which you can now do as you have shared your source drive via unassigned devices):

TeraCopy is excellent. TeraCopy is designed to copy and move files at the maximum possible speed. It skips bad files during the copying process, and then displays them at the end of the transfer so that you can see which ones need attention. TeraCopy can automatically check the copied files for errors by calculating their CRC checksum values. It also provides a lot more information about the files being copied than its Windows counterpart. TeraCopy integrates with Windows Explorer's right-click menu and can be set as the default copy handler.

http://www.codesector.com/teracopy

Ensure that if you use TeraCopy that you use the most STABLE version. Their BETA / ALPHA versions often have features disabled / missing and can be VERY buggy IMHO.

Windows File Copy: Standard Windows Copy will work BUT does not have the more "Advanced Features" of Teracopy. You can copy Drive on your PC / MAC to SMB Share of unRAID.

• 3 weeks later...

Note: you CAN use just standard CLI tools such as "cp" and "mv" etc BUT don't do so as root user as you will stuff up the permissions. I do NOT recommend doing this.

Can you explain a little more about that? Why I can't connect as root? Must I create another user?

In your telnet code you connect as root, don't you?

Thankyou, excellent answer post !!!

Can you explain a little more about that? Why I can't connect as root? Must I create another user?

In your telnet code you connect as root, don't you?

Thankyou, excellent answer post !!!

security at the Samba level stops you connecting as root on a secure share.  On a public share the username is irrelevant and is effectively ignored.

The comment about being careful if using command line tools as root is that many actions end up changing the permissions on the files so they are owned by root.  Such files are not accessible via Samba (and thus a network share).    Having said that the standard commands such as cp and sync have command line options to preserve existing permissions on files when copying or moving them, and if you do that you are fine.    If you do screw up (or forget) then the newperms (New Permissions) tool can be used to correct file permissions back to the defaults expected.

The comment about being careful if using command line tools as root is that many actions end up changing the permissions on the files so they are owned by root.  Such files are not accessible via Samba (and thus a network share).    Having said that the standard commands such as cp and sync have command line options to preserve existing permissions on files when copying or moving them, and if you do that you are fine.    If you do screw up (or forget) then the newperms (New Permissions) tool can be used to correct file permissions back to the defaults expected.

Thankyou @itimpi.

Then or use mc, or use linux commands with the argument to preserve existing permissions.

Thankyou

Gus