Change the owners and permissions of files saved on unRAID over SMB per share

Hi,

Would like to request that the WebUI setting be added to enable/disbale the setting of

[global]
    force user = nobody
    force group = users

or

[share]
    force user = nobody
    force group = users

What this option does is that all access done over SMB (on a specific share is desired) will be done via the nobody user and the users group, regardless of whether the share is public or private. This allows dockers to run as one specific user (nobody) and group (users) with minimal permissions issue.

The New Permissions tool already sets everything to that user and group so why not set everything to be generated with this user and group by default.

Additionally, the users created for unRAID becomes simple authorization accounts and are never related directly to file access.

Making this user configurable as to who the user and group are will make it even better, as some dockers and plugins can still run as a different specific user and the clients would not even need to be aware of this.

Of course, I'm not sure how this could be enforced for NFS and AFP shares, but I'm sure these users know what they are dealing with.

I've seen this done in some of the other Linux NAS distributions (Openfiler was one of them I think)

Edit: Changed request from a default setting to a possible user option.

• Upvote 1

Just to inquire why do you not want it.

As a long time Samba Fileserver administrator, I've always seen that for most users, the simplest case of user accounts for authorization is sufficient as a default. Advanced users should of course be allowed to disable this setting (or set a different one per share)

• 7 years later...

I'd like to see this added as an option as well as I run into the same issues and have no idea how to 'properly' set permissions so SMB/NFS work together well. The New Permissions section always restores order but it would be less of a nuisance if it remained orderly instead.

Edited by Econaut