log error No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns

• 4 months later...

Bumping this one as I have the same warning in my log:

Sep 12 18:21:10 Tower logger: Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon:  /usr/sbin/avahi-daemon -D
Sep 12 18:21:10 Tower avahi-daemon[5860]: Found user 'avahi' (UID 61) and group 'avahi' (GID 214).
Sep 12 18:21:10 Tower avahi-daemon[5860]: Successfully dropped root privileges.
Sep 12 18:21:10 Tower avahi-daemon[5860]: avahi-daemon 0.6.31 starting up.
Sep 12 18:21:10 Tower avahi-daemon[5860]: WARNING: No NSS support for mDNS detected, consider installing nss-mdns!
Sep 12 18:21:10 Tower avahi-daemon[5860]: Successfully called chroot().
Sep 12 18:21:10 Tower avahi-daemon[5860]: Successfully dropped remaining capabilities.
Sep 12 18:21:10 Tower avahi-daemon[5860]: Loading service file /services/sftp-ssh.service.
Sep 12 18:21:10 Tower avahi-daemon[5860]: Loading service file /services/smb.service.
Sep 12 18:21:10 Tower avahi-daemon[5860]: Loading service file /services/ssh.service.

Everyone on v6 has the same message, ignore it.

Reading syslogs is both about knowing what is important, and about knowing what to ignore, and there's quite a lot of things in a syslog that may look more important that they really are.  unRAID builds a new OS each time it boots, and the Linux kernel has to figure out both what hardware and software is there and what is not, and adapt itself accordingly.

Everyone on v6 has the same message, ignore it.

Reading syslogs is both about knowing what is important, and about knowing what to ignore, and there's quite a lot of things in a syslog that may look more important that they really are.  unRAID builds a new OS each time it boots, and the Linux kernel has to figure out both what hardware and software is there and what is not, and adapt itself accordingly.

Considering this, I wonder if it'd be advantageous of us to create an entry for common/harmless syslog messages.

Something that could be added to a wiki article for each major released version (if needed) if it will change based on build/packages/kernel/etc included within the release.

That is unless we already have something like this, or similar, and I should have searched before opening my mouth.  :D

I know for instance of another common VM question regarding "tainted" in the output of the VM log that gets people all flustered, and is effectively harmless.

Considering this, I wonder if it'd be advantageous of us to create an entry for common/harmless syslog messages.

Something that could be added to a wiki article for each major released version (if needed) if it will change based on build/packages/kernel/etc included within the release.

That is unless we already have something like this, or similar, and I should have searched before opening my mouth.  :D

I know for instance of another common VM question regarding "tainted" in the output of the VM log that gets people all flustered, and is effectively harmless.

That will be a nightmare to maintain, log messages vary with each linux version and installed package, but if you like a challenge be my guest :)

That will be a nightmare to maintain, log messages vary with each linux version and installed package, but if you like a challenge be my guest :)

That stifled my determination pretty quickly.

(Not looking at a log currently) I think the only ones that jump out at me (and likely others) are the ones with "Error" "Fault", or "Warning", does that make it a reasonable path?

Honestly the important ones that I concern myself with are the ones that Dynamix applies the color to in the log, however I don't think that capability is default on a plain install (I think I added a plugin for that, can't recall).