ASUS P5LD2 R2.0

Just built my first UNRAID server with an ASUS P5LD2 Motherboard.  Am using a Sandisk Cruzer micro flash drive with UNRAID basic.  In the motherboard BIOS, the Sandisk cruzer is recognized and I have set it to boot from the flash drive.  This doesn't work, I get the following message:  "Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".  I have tried all the BIOS suggestions on the UNRAID basic page, I have also tried the HP flash format tool... no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Found the problem - this is a note for all people using Sandisk Cruzer Micros!!!  They come installed with Sandisk software on it that CANNOT be removed with a standard Windows FAT format or the HP flash format tool.  You have to go into the "settings" in the resident Sandisk software and tell it to uninstall the software.  It will reformat the drive.  After this was done I reinstalled UNRAID basic and it boots fine.

Guest lsarver

Found the problem - this is a note for all people using Sandisk Cruzer Micros!!!  They come installed with Sandisk software on it that CANNOT be removed with a standard Windows FAT format or the HP flash format tool.  You have to go into the "settings" in the resident Sandisk software and tell it to uninstall the software.  It will reformat the drive.  After this was done I reinstalled UNRAID basic and it boots fine.

Are you referring to the U3 software? It's really a pain, even if you're just using the device for storage under windows. Imagine having to wait while a "floppy" boots up or shuts down!

• 4 weeks later...

Just built my first UNRAID server with an ASUS P5LD2 Motherboard.

Could I ask you to share your BIOS settings?  Particularly the "IDE CONFIGURATION" bit?  I can't get any sensible performance out of the onboard IDE socket.

Here's what I have:-

CONFIGURE SATA AS  [sTANDARD IDE]  <-- This was the only option

ONBOARD IDE OPERATE MODE [ENHANCED]

ENHANCED MODE SUPPORT ON [s-ATA+P-ATA]  <-- Other Options were [s-ATA] or [P-ATA]

I also tried:-

ONBOARD IDE OPERATE MODE [COMPATIBLE]

COMBINED MODE OPTION [PRIMARY P-ATA+S-S-ATA] <-- Other Options were [s-ATA ONLY] or [P-ATA ONLY]

On many different settings I couldn't get the FlashDrive visible to boot from.

I'd be really interested in what settings have worked for you,

Thanks,

Mark.

• 5 months later...

Having had this motherboard up & running in 3 unraids I've hit a snag.

The bios allows you to choose the boot order from the installed drives, however having just installed my 12th HDD in one of the unRaids I find the the list to choose from no longer includes the USB stick.  It appears the boot list limit is fixed at 12 devices and the Pata & Sata devices seem to take higher priority.

There is an "F8" to choose boot options and the USB stick is listed there, however it cannot be booted from.

Remove a HDD (back to 11) and all is fine again.

I've updated to the very latest BIOS but this hasn't fixed it:(.  This, combined with the Realtek Driver issues beyond UnRaid 4.0 make me think it's time for a Mobo swap.  Seeing as I need 3 of them I really don't want to get it wrong again.

Can anyone recommend a Full Size Socket 775 Mobo (preferable with 8 onboard Satas) and with a 4.2 compatible Gig Lan that has been proven to work at the 14-16 HDD level?

Many thanks,

Mark.

This is a common problem.  I believe that card has a "Force FDD" mode for USB Mass Storage - if so, try that.  The Flash will then show up in the list of Removable devices and you will be able to select it for boot.

Thanks for the suggestion, however it didn't work for me.  I've got it sorted (for now) with some help from Asus Tech Support who replied within a few hours of my enquiry.

I think the board bios has no enough space to load so much boot device information.

I suggest you, if you never try to use the disk under DOS mode,

you can try to go to bios-main page, here will show you the disks connected to the board own ide/sata ports. Please press enter on the disk model (non-system disk),

you will go to its detail setting screen. Set that Type option to "Not-Installed",

also you can do the same setting to others non-system harddisk here,

then check if you can boot from USB drive.

Although the disk is set to Not-installed here, it should can be accessed in OS.

Basically telling the Bios there are no HDDs installed on the Primary, Secondary & Tertiary IDE channels left enough space for the USB key to be visible again :).

This has only helped me temporarily as before I get to 16 HDDs there will be too many Sata Disks & IDE Disks on external cards to see the USB key again.

So I'm still looking to change the Motherboard to a Full Size one with 8 Onboard Satas if at all possible?  I don't need more than 2 onboard IDE really and I'm thinking that this may be a better solution than buying an extra Sata card & Gig Lan card anyway.

Unless there's a solution to the Realtek GigLan  issue on the horizon?  ;)

Many thanks,

Mark.

Interesting solution - I wasn't aware that was possible.

BTW, how did you contact Asus tech support?

I filled out a form on http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx (Note that for some reason this form didn't work correctly in Firefox, I had to use IE for it).  Once I'd entered my product as a Motherboard it asked me LOADS of questions relating to every aspect of my setup but once completed they responded via email really quickly.

I have to say I'm not completely out of trouble yet as after adding & clearing the new disk the array wouldn't come online.  Once the new HDD had cleared and parity declared valid I pressed the start button and after nothing happening for a short while I refreshed the page.  I still had the Parity is Valid Message and an option to click Start again, I tried to start the array several times.  I rebooted with a valid parity and the new disk appeared as "new" again and I'm currently clearing it for a 2nd time.

Mark.

Once the new HDD had cleared and parity declared valid I pressed the start button and after nothing happening for a short while I refreshed the page.  I still had the Parity is Valid Message and an option to click Start again, I tried to start the array several times.  I rebooted with a valid parity and the new disk appeared as "new" again and I'm currently clearing it for a 2nd time.

Seems to have worked this time! :)  I got the option to format the new HDD which I'm currently doing.

EDIT: All went fine this time

Mark.

<snip>

So I'm still looking to change the Motherboard to a Full Size one with 8 Onboard Satas if at all possible?  I don't need more than 2 onboard IDE really and I'm thinking that this may be a better solution than buying an extra Sata card & Gig Lan card anyway.

Unless there's a solution to the Realtek GigLan  issue on the horizon?  ;)

<snip>

Is a fix for the Realtek GigLan issue on the horizon? (or the "todo" list)?  I am about to order some other components for various system builds and am trying to decide whether I need to replace these 3 motherboards?  I've been meaning to buy extra sata cards, but if the NIC also need replacing a Mobo change may be cheaper than a 100% compatible PCI GigLan Card + Promise TX4 Sata controller.

Thanks,

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone recommend a Full Size Socket 775 Mobo (preferable with 8 onboard Satas) and with a 4.2 compatible Gig Lan that has been proven to work at the 14-16 HDD level?

Hello Mark,

I am a newbie and would like to know if you researched for 8 sata 775 mobo. I went thru the compatible Mobo list but couldn't find one. Can some one please help me out.

Regards, Shaurya

Hello Mark,

I am a newbie and would like to know if you researched for 8 sata 775 mobo. I went thru the compatible Mobo list but couldn't find one. Can some one please help me out.

Regards, Shaurya

Not yes, I did originally mean to buy the Asus P5LD2-VM which I *think* has 8 onboard satas, I'm not sure though.  My current thinking is to go with whatever mobo Tom is using in the MD1500 (ASUS P5B-VM DO), but from what I gather that has the same NIC chipset and my current mobo and that won't work above v4.0 of unraid.

Still hoping for a driver compatibility fix before making a purchase.  Also note that the ASUS P5B-VM DO mobo has 1 of the 8 sata's externally that will need to be routed back into the case.

Mark.

Still hoping for a driver compatibility fix before making a purchase.  Also note that the ASUS P5B-VM DO mobo has 1 of the 8 sata's externally that will need to be routed back into the case.Mark

Thanks for your response. IIRC, SATA has limit on the data cable lenght. Not sure how the routing the cable back into the case work play out.

Regards, Shaurya

Still hoping for a driver compatibility fix before making a purchase.  Also note that the ASUS P5B-VM DO mobo has 1 of the 8 sata's externally that will need to be routed back into the case.Mark

Thanks for your response. IIRC, SATA has limit on the data cable lenght. Not sure how the routing the cable back into the case work play out.

Regards, Shaurya

E-sata's limitation is 2m - no problem.

Bill