Server Crashing! Help!

Hi guys,

I have looked around to see if there is any post similar to my problem and couldn't find any so I decided to ask the question.

I don't know Linux and have no idea on how to find anything on it. :(

I am running unRAID Server Plus version: 5.0-rc5 for a very long time with no issue and since recently started going offline on its own! SMB stops working and also web GUI is off! It doesn't even accept commands on the keyboard directly connected to it (soft reset)!

The only way to bring all back is by hard reset on which every time server does parity check which lasts for hours - lots of data! I use 6 drives and have around 6Tb data (7Tb in data and 3Tb parity drive)!

Can someone please help! I would also consider going for an upgrade to v6! What do I need to do that? Is the upgrade to v6 free or I need to purchase the license again!

Should I first fix the v5 before the upgrade?

Thanks.

Personally, I would upgrade to the latest v5 and get the problems under control before going to v6.  Although upgrading to v6 has benefits because far more people (including myself) are familiar with the nuances of 6 rather than 5.

But, your first step will probably be to enter in at the local console

tail -f /var/log/syslog > /boot/syslog.txt

This has to be done with a keyboard / monitor attached to the server.  Nothing will appear to happen on the screen, but it will continually copy the syslog to the flash drive and hopefully something will appear there.

Other thoughts:  Run Memtest from the boot menu (ideally 24 hours, but at least 1 pass)

Post your complete system specifications

If you have animals (in particular those devil spawns that some people call cats) clean out the computer as you've probably got a ton of dust bunnies inside it and reseat all add in cards / memory sticks, etc

Personally, I would upgrade to the latest v5 and get the problems under control before going to v6.  Although upgrading to v6 has benefits because far more people (including myself) are familiar with the nuances of 6 rather than 5.

This has to be done with a keyboard / monitor attached to the server.  Nothing will appear to happen on the screen, but it will continually copy the syslog to the flash drive and hopefully something will appear there.

Other thoughts:  Run Memtest from the boot menu (ideally 24 hours, but at least 1 pass)

If you have animals (in particular those devil spawns that some people call cats) clean out the computer as you've probably got a ton of dust bunnies inside it and reseat all add in cards / memory sticks, etc

Hi Squid,

Thanks for the reply.

How do I upgrade to the latest v5 and do I need a new license? (i assume i will get latest v5 in downloads section)

How long will be copying the Syslog? What about the flash memory? I have just rebooted and entered that command! I see syslog.txt on the flash.

As for the animals, yes, i have them and just did the complete cleaning of the machine. :)

Hi Squid,

Thanks for the reply.

How do I upgrade to the latest v5 and do I need a new license? (i assume i will get latest v5 in downloads section)

How long will be copying the Syslog? What about the flash memory? I have just rebooted and entered that command! I see syslog.txt on the flash.

As for the animals, yes, i have them and just did the complete cleaning of the machine. :)

Copying will continue for as long as the server is operational (or you hit CTRL-C or reboot the server)

Upgrading: IIRC, download whatever the latest v5 stable is from LT.  Copy bzroot and bzimage from the flash drive to somewhere else (desktop?) so that you have a backup if you need to downgrade.

Open up the downloaded zip file and copy bzimage and bzroot from it to the flash drive.  Reboot.  Nothing else should be necessary to do.

Hi Squid,

Thanks for the reply.

Copying will continue for as long as the server is operational (or you hit CTRL-C or reboot the server)

Upgrading: IIRC, download whatever the latest v5 stable is from LT.  Copy bzroot and bzimage from the flash drive to somewhere else (desktop?) so that you have a backup if you need to downgrade.

Open up the downloaded zip file and copy bzimage and bzroot from it to the flash drive.  Reboot.  Nothing else should be necessary to do.

Hi Squid,

I have just copied files as you suggested and have a problem logging in from the web GUI but the system looks as it is updated by looking at the console? It doesn't see that IP address anymore! If I try and ping it, it fails! I tried on the console ifconfig eth0 and it says doesn't exist anymore?! I have now copied back the original files and the system is back online?!

What can be the problem? The driver!

The system is: AMD 64bit 2700MHz, 3Gb DDRII, 333MHZ RAM, Jetway M26GT4 Motherboard (http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/motherboard_view.asp?productid=531&proname=M26GT4). I believe it is a Realtek network card.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Squid,

Thanks for the reply.

Hi Squid,

I have just copied files as you suggested and have a problem logging in from the web GUI but the system looks as it is updated by looking at the console? It doesn't see that IP address anymore! If I try and ping it, it fails! I tried on the console ifconfig eth0 and it says doesn't exist anymore?! I have now copied back the original files and the system is back online?!

What can be the problem? The driver!

The system is: AMD 64bit 2700MHz, 3Gb DDRII, 333MHZ RAM, Jetway M26GT4 Motherboard (http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/motherboard_view.asp?productid=531&proname=M26GT4). I believe it is a Realtek network card.

Anyone around to help?!  :(

Realtek network chipsets have often been problematic, and do fail, plus have compatibility issues with some versions.  I would seriously consider adding an Intel NIC (disable the onboard networking).  That may be all you need, plus it's better for future upgrades.

One more thing you can look at.  That board is from about 2008.  Sometime back around then there was a lot of Chinese capacitors which had a very high failure rate.  Open up your case and carefully examine the caps for any with the tops bulging up.  Those caps are defective and will cause all sorts of operation issues.  I seem to recall that there were a few brave souls who changed them out but most people just replaced the MB.