Intel (Core 2 or >) Motherboard Recomendation

Thanks for the suggestion daniel.boone, that looks like a pretty nifty board but it is too bad that no one seems to want to go through the bother to get it properly asserted as 'Tested' on the wiki page. I might have gone for your suggestion, but then starcat piped up again ...

Yeah, that would be me you're talking about...  :-[  There's a couple of other threads for the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, but I could have easily have validated it for Level 2 by now.  It certainly passes Level 1.

My setup:

Intel E5200

8 GB Kingston RAM

2x SYBA SD-SA2PEX-2IR in PCI-E 1x slots

1x LSI SAS3081E-R in a PCI-E 16x slot (not doing me any good right now under this kernel)

ATI Rage XL in a PCI slot for video

I've attached a syslog here showing almost 40 days of continuous uptime (took out some domain specific stuff for privacy)... some of what kept me unable to do Level 2 validation was that I had been running the 4.5 betas and at the moment I only have 5 HDDs (albeit all 2TB)... well, not counting the 160GB cache drive attached to the system which I am not actually using at all (though you can spot it in the syslog), and I didn't do a parity check on startup per the Level 2 reqs, but I normally do one every 30 days.  Maybe when I add the next 2TB drive (which I think I will do in the very near future), I'll bump to 4.5.1, do a parity check, and in a month or so after that I can call it Level 2 tested and post results in a new thread (or one of the old ones).

But it sounds like you got a good board anyway and the Gigabyte is certainly not Micro-ATX.  Good luck!

syslog-2010-02-12.txt

Thanks for the suggestion daniel.boone, that looks like a pretty nifty board but it is too bad that no one seems to want to go through the bother to get it properly asserted as 'Tested' on the wiki page. I might have gone for your suggestion, but then starcat piped up again ...

Yeah, that would be me you're talking about...  :-[   There's a couple of other threads for the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, but I could have easily have validated it for Level 2 by now.  It certainly passes Level 1.

My setup:

Intel E5200

8 GB Kingston RAM

2x SYBA SD-SA2PEX-2IR in PCI-E 1x slots

1x LSI SAS3081E-R in a PCI-E 16x slot (not doing me any good right now under this kernel)

ATI Rage XL in a PCI slot for video

I've attached a syslog here showing almost 40 days of continuous uptime (took out some domain specific stuff for privacy)... some of what kept me unable to do Level 2 validation was that I had been running the 4.5 betas and at the moment I only have 5 HDDs (albeit all 2TB)... well, not counting the 160GB cache drive attached to the system which I am not actually using at all (though you can spot it in the syslog), and I didn't do a parity check on startup per the Level 2 reqs, but I normally do one every 30 days.  Maybe when I add the next 2TB drive (which I think I will do in the very near future), I'll bump to 4.5.1, do a parity check, and in a month or so after that I can call it Level 2 tested and post results in a new thread (or one of the old ones).

But it sounds like you got a good board anyway and the Gigabyte is certainly not Micro-ATX.  Good luck!

No sweat man, I can't expect from someone else what I haven't taken the time and effort to do myself. If I build another one of these I might go for the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, we'll see. If you're going for the Level 2 testing, I'm rooting for you!

Well I finally got a chance to call Atacom and they don't have it in stock.  :(  I'm not shocked, but it would have been a nice surprise to find out that they had it.

Oh! I almost forgot to mention, the first parts came Saturday. The two preloaded USB Thumbdrives from Limetech showed up; talk about service, they were the last order, but the first parts to arrive. I spent most of Sunday wondering if I should try and fire up some of the ancient machines I have around and see if it would boot unRAID at all, lol. I guess my Case is waiting at home, and all the other parts (save the Motherboard) are scheduled to show up tomorrow. The anticipation just might kill me. I can't believe I have to wait until next friggin' month just to put this thing together.

• 3 weeks later...