Intel (Core 2 or >) Motherboard Recomendation

Can someone give me some motherboard recommendations? I am looking for a board that supports an Intel Core 2 or greater processor. Pros would be onboard graphics, gig ethernet port, and 4 or more SATA ports. Another pro would be available through NewEgg. I ran through the wiki's hardware compatibility list, and read through the first 5 pages on this forum, but I'm coming up with some amazing AMD boards, and coming up short on Intel.

Help Please.

Thanks for the suggestion ClunkClunk. It looks promising, if no one suggestion a board with onboard video I might just go with that one.

Thanks for the suggestion prostuff1, to quote my original post:

I ran through the wiki's hardware compatibility list,

Unfortunately I didn't find what I wanted, which is why I've come to ask this question in the forums.

Thanks for the suggestion ClunkClunk. It looks promising, if no one suggestion a board with onboard video I might just go with that one.

Thanks for the suggestion prostuff1, to quote my original post:

I ran through the wiki's hardware compatibility list,

Unfortunately I didn't find what I wanted, which is why I've come to ask this question in the forums.

Yup, I saw the blurb about reading the wiki, but I figured I would point you there again (plus it is easier to type Hardware Compatibility Page and give the link because of my code expansion program).  Anyway, your next best bet would be to head towards Newegg and use there advnaced search to narrow down the choices.

Gigabyte Intel boards will also be pretty good, so you might want to start there.

head towards Newegg and use there advnaced search to narrow down the choices.

Gigabyte Intel boards will also be pretty good, so you might want to start there.

Thanks for the suggestion. The biggest fear that I have in going about it that way is accidentally getting a board that might create an HPA. Is there a specific thing I should be looking for so that I don't get a MB that has that behavior? Is it only board that support the Dual Virtual BIOS?

head towards Newegg and use there advnaced search to narrow down the choices.

Thanks for the suggestion. The biggest fear that I have in going about it that way is accidentally getting a board that might create an HPA. Is there a specific thing I should be looking for so that I don't get a MB that has that behavior? Is it only board that support the Dual Virtual BIOS?

That is a question I can't answer and would probably best be answered on the gigabyte forum.  There was talk about being able to disable this by pressing F1 when you are in the BIOS of the board.  The only other way to avoid this is to not get a Gigabyte board.

Anything else I need to worry about when going to the NewEgg search method? Are all Intel SATA controllers (IIRC that exists on the SouthBridge?) compatible with unRAID? One of the lines on the wiki states that one of the compatible controllers are: "Intel ICHn" which I'm guessing means ICH + a number, but I'm not sure. So would the ICH7s on the boards below be compatible?

A couple of boards I found:

GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128418

ASUS P5G41-M LE/CSM LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131399

Does anyone have any thoughts on those two selections?

You might want to look at Intel's Desktop Boards, I picked up a DQ965GF about a year ago which runs unRAID quite nicely.  Its got onboard LAN, video and 6 SATA ports plus a 1x and a 16x PCI Express slot, so you can get to 10 SATA connections quite inexpensively.

Stephen

HPA issue - Gigabyte has a number of BIOS protection schemes. One called Dual Hardware BIOS protection which used the CMOS for both BIOS versions so it should mean you are OK. Then, they begin with the virtual BIOS protection schemes which appear to write a HPA for the BIOS backup. They also appear to have a version which has both hardware and HPA BIOS backups. On these boards download the manual and see if there is a setting to turn off the hard drive use. CTRL-F1 can bring up more advanced BIOS options. If you look through the WIKI I think there is a post linked about a board and I found that the option was in that manual so you could use that to get an idea what to look for.

Looking for boards with more PCIe slots is always a good idea. It seems 4x slots will be required for the higher port count SATA cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128371

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130248

Peter

Why not going with a server class mainboard, something that will boot headless, with KVM over Ethernet, with ECC protected memory, decent Intel NICs, remote poweron/powerdown, etc. Like the X7SBE is a good fit into that category. It will support C2D and C2Q but I doubt you will ever need something more than C2D with unRAID even if you run Vmware on it!

Here is a thread using this board: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4479.0

Something Starcat didn't mention is that Supermicro board is pricy but there is a Supermicro PCI-X to 8-SATAII board available for about $100 and you can easily get to the unRAID disk limits with 2 of them. Overall, it's a decent solution that will have all the speed of a PCIe high disk count solution at a comparible price. Sure PCIe is the new technology but PCI-X works just fine.

When a 8-SATAII PCIe card is supported then the PCIe solutions will become quite a bit cheaper.

Peter

I have heard of people grabing the X7SBE for $50 used or $150 open box, count in 2x $100 for two 8-port SATA cards (PCI-X 64bit 133Mhz) running at 1GB/s each and you are all set. The X7SBE has two PCI-X busses for both cards. 8 disks hanging off 1GB/s controller is more than enough bandwidth. The 6 ports on the mobo hang directly off the Northbridge. Its a decent configuration. And you have an 8x PCIe slot for a card supporting SAS expanders to extend to a second and third chassis (Lime-Tech are working on support for that). So, this config pretty covers it all.

• 1 month later...

Well unfortunately I did not get this project even started before the new year. I have been looking for the X7SBE for less than $200, but haven't found any deals. I really don't want to sink so much money into a motherboard. I'm riding on the assumption that I will be able to just stick with a few drives and upgrade them as capacities get greater. I guess what I'm saying is that I would rather spend the money on drives than a pricier motherboard. I think I will only end up needing around 6Gigs of storage, which can easily be done in a 5 drive configuration.

Anyone have any last minute suggestions?

What was wrong with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P? I've been looking at this as a replacement for my ASUS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358

video only pcie slots? I may have answered my onw question...  :-[

humm..maybe not..seems soneone has confirmed support for a 4x pcie sata card.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3739.msg46886#msg46886

Something Starcat didn't mention is that Supermicro board is pricy but there is a Supermicro PCI-X to 8-SATAII board available for about $100 and you can easily get to the unRAID disk limits with 2 of them. Overall, it's a decent solution that will have all the speed of a PCIe high disk count solution at a comparible price. Sure PCIe is the new technology but PCI-X works just fine.

Peter, the Supermicro has also a PCIe connector. I am waiting for multiple Volume support and LSI 3442E-R in order to put it there and connect to another 4220 (or 4224) using the HP LSI Expander only in the second case.

The big benefit of the Supermicro board is because it is a server it has a dedicated IPMI processor with its own ethernet interface and integrated KVM-over-Ethernet functionality. You won't ever need a keyboard/monitor in order to tweak BIOS settings, nor to get to the console of unRAID. You can even turn on the server remotely. It also supports WOL, has solid onboard Intel NICs (saving slots), etc...

Well unfortunately I did not get this project even started before the new year. I have been looking for the X7SBE for less than $200, but haven't found any deals. I really don't want to sink so much money into a motherboard. I'm riding on the assumption that I will be able to just stick with a few drives and upgrade them as capacities get greater. I guess what I'm saying is that I would rather spend the money on drives than a pricier motherboard. I think I will only end up needing around 6Gigs of storage, which can easily be done in a 5 drive configuration.

I don't think that you will buy soon 4 or 6TB drives. The step ups are becoming smaller and the price difference bigger. Just compare what a 1.5 and 2TB drive cost per GB. So, upgrading a couple of 2TB drives to 2.5 won't bring you much in terms of capacity and you will be at risk each time pulling out and migrating drives.

You may want to take a look at this new Atom board from Supermicro: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5133.0 It has integrated IPMI, CPU, Intel GigE, 6x SATA, etc

Thanks for the suggestion daniel.boone, that looks like a pretty nifty board but it is too bad that no one seems to want to go through the bother to get it properly asserted as 'Tested' on the wiki page. I might have gone for your suggestion, but then starcat piped up again ...

Wow starcat, you just keep coming up with really good stuff!

If newegg stocked the X7SPA I would be buying it right now, but it looks like I'll have to try one of the listed retailers in that thread. As a side note it doesn't exactly match what I requested at the beginning of this thread, but still ends up being Intel and surpasses my needs. If I can actually order this board I think it's the one I'm going to be going with. Maybe I will get to the point where a bigger, bolder server makes sense, but for now that little board will do nicely.

Thanks again starcat!

• 2 weeks later...

Well my orders are in, now I just have to wait for everything to be shipped and arrive. I ended up going with the Supermicro X7SPA, a COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 for the case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119152) and a couple of drive racks including a KINGWIN KF-4000-BK which is a 4 drive 3 bay setup (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990004). Hopefully I will be able to help get this board it's marks in the 'tested' column on the Hardware Compatibility page on the wiki.