We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Access a VM through VNC from another VM with passthrough video?

DoeBoye

As the subject states. I'm thinking of having two VMs. One would have a video card assigned to it, while the other would be VNC only. Rather than having to use a thin client, could I use VM1 (with passthrou'd video) to acces VM2 using VNC?

1. Can I do it?

2. Should I do it? Would performance suffer? It would be used for office and graphic design work. No games or video.

3. Is there a better solution?

Thanks!

1. Can I do it?  - Yes, no issues.

2. Should I do it? Up to you Would performance suffer? From VNC'ing from a passtrhru machine, no, not at all. It would be used for office and graphic design work. No games or video. RDP would likely work better than VNC, but you can try either (but I'd recommend RDP if we're talking a Windows machine)

3. Is there a better solution? This should work fine, but you likely have some options. Controlling a VM from another passthru VM should be as close to a "bare metal" machine accessing a VM, and I'd doubt you'd notice any difference (I certainly don't)

1. Can I do it?  - Yes, no issues.

2. Should I do it? Up to you Would performance suffer? From VNC'ing from a passtrhru machine, no, not at all. It would be used for office and graphic design work. No games or video. RDP would likely work better than VNC, but you can try either (but I'd recommend RDP if we're talking a Windows machine)

3. Is there a better solution? This should work fine, but you likely have some options. Controlling a VM from another passthru VM should be as close to a "bare metal" machine accessing a VM, and I'd doubt you'd notice any difference (I certainly don't)

Excellent! Thanks for the reply :). I think I'll try that first, rather than doubling up the videocards for a VM that doesn't see a lot of use.

Archived