Can't Reset Cache Only Shares If Cache Drive Not Present

unRAID OS Version:

6.1.9 and later

Description:

If a share is set to only use the cache drive, and no cache drive is present (ie: one was present, and then it got removed), then there is no way to tell unRaid to not use the cache drive within the webUI, and all writes to the share will fail.

How to reproduce:

Manually edit the $share.cfg file and set shareUseCache="only" (to simulate a cache drive originally present and then removed),  Try writing to the share.  Will fail.  Try modifying the share's settings, and the option to change the use cache drive is gone (because no cache drive is present).  Only way to reset that setting is to either install a cache drive, or delete $share.cfg

Additionally, the default system share *may* by default be set to cache drive only, but if there is no cache drive present (or if you want to run VMs with a UD mounted drive instead and no cache drive), there is no way to actually do this.

Expected results:

Ideally, if a share is set to only use the cache drive, and no cache drive is present, dynamix should automatically set that option in the cfg to be "yes"

Alternatively, if there is no cache drive present, and a share is set to "only", unRaid should be smart enough to instead put all writes to the array, and not just error out with a cryptic message (in this case) of "No Space Left On Device"

Actual results:

Other information:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=49393.msg473961#msg473961

Expected results:

Ideally, if a share is set to only use the cache drive, and no cache drive is present, dynamix should automatically set that option in the cfg to be "yes"

Alternatively, if there is no cache drive present, and a share is set to "only", unRaid should be smart enough to instead put all writes to the array, and not just error out with a cryptic message (in this case) of "No Space Left On Device"

I dont like this idea, since if your cache drive goes offline, and you have your appdata folder on the cache drive, all the mappings for dockers will be wrong when using /cache (/mnt/cache/appdata), or your appdata files will be spread across the entire array then people use /user (/mnt/user/appdata).

I think a better way is to just have the option to change the use cache drive still present if a share is set to cache disk "yes", or "only", even then there is no cache drive.

Would be nice with a better error message for this also.

Expected results:

I dont like this idea, since if your cache drive goes offline, and you have your appdata folder on the cache drive, all the mappings for dockers will be wrong when using /cache (/mnt/cache/appdata), or your appdata files will be spread across the entire array then people use /user (/mnt/user/appdata).

I think a better way is to just have the option to change the use cache drive still present if a share is set to cache disk "yes", or "only", even then there is no cache drive.

Would be nice with a better error message for this also.

Fair enough.  I was actually a bit surprised that you couldn't reset the setting after I simulated it for FCP and had to completely redo my suggested fix