Re: [SOLVED] Slow read speeds - CarloC

Hello All,

I may be having a similar problem.

I was in the process of upgrading from v5.05 to 6.1.9.

I was doing this because I had lost my USB key files to a cryptolocker attack and all the files on the flash drive were encrypted.

I re-formatted the USB, loaded 6.1.9 and got a successful boot and re-assigned all my drives and did a new permission run, then did a parity check. All good to this point. The parity check took no longer than normal (16 hours).

I started adding plugins etc. and was serving media files to my network which is the main use of my unraid server. Again all good to this point.

I then noticed that a higher than usual definition file was stuttering on playback to my media player. I then saw that the network speed to the media player was about a 1/10th of usual/previous. After much troubleshooting with wireless and wired connection to the player, I noticed that the read rate from the unraid server was very low.

I have attached the output of a cute program called NASTester which records the read and write performance of a network.

My U drive is in a ubuntu server and V drive is the Unraid server, both are wired connections to the same netwrk that my windows machine is wired to. It is a Netgear D6200 gigabit router and they all have gigabit NI on motherboard.

As you can see the read/write on the ubuntu server is fine and the write to Unraid is fine but the read rate is 0.6MB/s.

I tried a fresh re-install of the 6.1.9 unraid, in case I ruined the plugin settings etc. and did it to myself but the read speed was unchanged even without any plugins added. Again the parity check proceeded at an excellent rate.

I don't know if the slow read is directly related to 6.1.9 and hardware problems in my setup, because I have a vague recollection of copying 1 subdirectory from the server to the ubuntu machine and getting good speed doing so, while I was troubleshooting what I thought was a configuration issue on my media player. However, i may have copied it from a backup disk on the ubuntu machine to the shared folder on the ubuntu machine. I can't remember exactly where it came from.

I hope this isn't too confusing.

My main question is this, if i haven't changed anything on the data drives for unraid, can I go back to 5.05 safely? I can't use the previous setup and will need to do a fresh install. Will this be OK?

Otherwise, I'm going to disable the onbaord NIC and install a PCI card and see if that helps.

I have been using unraid for several years and am so happy with it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or feedback.

U_drive_-_Ubuntu.JPG.67e8e0252c716ba87812596c7dc15a06.JPG

V_drive_-_Unraid.JPG.3856563220a36c4093b52f79703c95f9.JPG

With v6 you should post the diagnostics file (obtained via Tools->diagnostics) as it allows us to see how your system is set up and what is happening at the time.  The diagnostics should be taken after you have encountered the problem.

Unless you have something mis-configured that is causing the issue then it is unlikely that reverting to v5 will resolve your issue and the tools on v6 are far better.

I disabled the onboard NIC and used a PCI NIC.

Instant return to usable read speeds.

See attached NAStester jpg.

I can't say if the fault was a coincindence with the install of 6.1.9 or related.

I did not try (and would prefer not to try) a return to 5.05.

I am now moving forward with the original base issue of re-encoding/reloading etc. 1.68 TB of cryptolocker corrupted files.

V_drive_-_Unraid_New_NIC.JPG.0d503cdcd9ef637c5e12ad659c4e1b38.JPG