SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and other options with unRAID 6.xx

I'm getting ready to build my unRAID NAS and I had planned on using the SUPERMICRO AOC-SAS2LP-MV8.  I checked the hardware compatibility list and found that there are some issues with this controller and unRAID 6.xx.  Looking through related threads, I'm having a hard time understanding if these issues have been fixed or not.

Assuming it's still having issues, I've been looking at other options.  People seem to like the Dell H310, which is really just a rebranded LSI 9240-8i, which you then crossflash to LSI 9211-8i IT firmware?  I think?  So does this mean i could use the H310, 9240-8i, or the 9211-8i?  Or is there some reason I should use one over the other, or is just about price?

I've also found the SuperMicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 but that is a SATA II PCI x2 card.  How much will that matter?  Someone was mentioning using a 2 lane card for 8 drives would cause poor performance.

I'd like something that just works out of the box, but if that isn't possible I was leaning towards the H310.

I need something that will support 12 x 4TB drives, and I'm using a BPN-SAS2-826EL backplane.

Can anyone here help clear this up for me?

Get the h310 and flash it.  You will probably be happier in the long run.... These SAS  controllers only run 8 drives so if you really want 12 drives you will need to run some of them off your mb or buy another card.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Get the h310 and flash it.  You will probably be happier in the long run.... These SAS  controllers only run 8 drives so if you really want 12 drives you will need to run some of them off your mb or buy another card.

Thanks for the reply!

The SM motherboard I am buying has 6 x 6Gb/s SATA ports.  Is there any reason I wouldn't want to you the motherboard connections?

Thanks for the reply!

The SM motherboard I am buying has 6 x 6Gb/s SATA ports.  Is there any reason I wouldn't want to you the motherboard connections?

Yeah that's fine.  I just wanted to make sure you knew these were only 8 port cards.

The Dell PERC H310 and IBM M1015 flashed to IT mode are the default choice these days.  That said, and I'm one of the people who had problems with the AOC-SAS2LP, it does work well for most people, most of the time, in most situations.  If you have specific concerns about virtualization or compatibility with older hardware then avoid it, but otherwise it might work out well for you and has the advantage of working out of the box - no flashing.

You do NOT want an 8 port PCI Sata controller - that would slow you down.  Stick with PCIex.

The Dell PERC H310 and IBM M1015 flashed to IT mode are the default choice these days.  That said, and I'm one of the people who had problems with the AOC-SAS2LP, it does work well for most people, most of the time, in most situations.  If you have specific concerns about virtualization or compatibility with older hardware then avoid it, but otherwise it might work out well for you and has the advantage of working out of the box - no flashing.

You do NOT want an 8 port PCI Sata controller - that would slow you down.  Stick with PCIex.

Thanks, and yea I realized that other card I posted was a PCIX card.

I'm thinking I might go with the Dell H310.  Everyone seems to recommend it and it seems to work great for pretty much everyone once flashed.  It's also cheaper.  I think I'm going to start purchasing the parts today.

Archived