SysLog message: (95) Operation not supported

Hi

Wonder if anybody can help, it seems this error has been reported elsewhere in the forums but in a different context.

Everything is running fine, however I get this message systematically put out to the syslog, whenever I am running iTunes (with db stored on server), so I assume iTunes is trying to write to the disk in the background and failing for some reason.

General copying around and usage does not invoke the error. Syslog is clear except for the below.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Matt

----------CUT------------------

Jan 14 11:25:04 Tower shfs: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk3/iTunes-m/iTunes Library.xml (95) Operation not supported

Jan 14 11:25:04 Tower shfs: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk3/iTunes-m/Temp File.tmp (95) Operation not supported

Jan 14 11:26:53 Tower shfs: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk3/iTunes-m/iTunes Library.itl (95) Operation not supported

Jan 14 11:26:53 Tower shfs: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk3/iTunes-m/Temp File.tmp (95) Operation not supported

Jan 14 11:26:57 Tower shfs: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk3/iTunes-m/iTunes Library.xml (95) Operation not supported

Jan 14 11:26:57 Tower shfs: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk3/iTunes-m/Temp File.tmp (95) Operation not supported

I am running iTunes (with db stored on server)

When you have databases stored on the server then you occaasionaly run into problems connected with windows locking.

Disabling samba locking on the server may solve yout problem.

You can do that by adding the following to  smb-extra.conf

kernel oplocks = no
      oplocks  = no
      level2 oplocks = no

The  smb-extra.conf  file is located in the  config  folder of your flash key.

If you don't have such file there then you can create it.

But make sure that you use a text editor that can do Linux-style line endings:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ#Why_do_my_scripts_have_problems_with_end-of-lines.3F

Purko

I will try adding this next time I reboot.

You don't have to reboot for that.  The moment you modify that file, samba picks up the changes.

You can verify that by running the command  testparm

(BTW, if you add a new samba disk share to that file, that too takes effect immediately.)

You don't have to reboot for that.  The moment you modify that file, samba picks up the changes.

You can verify that by running the command  testparm

(BTW, if you add a new samba disk share to that file, that too takes effect immediately.)

Didn't work for me! I verified the locks are set to no via testparm, yet those entries are still appearing.  :(

those entries are still appearing.

In that case, email Limetech for help. 

I noticed that other people around here are seeing similar error messages.

Please let us know what Limetech says.

---

BTW, did you start seing those messages with unRAID version 4.5.0-final?

Have you seen them before that version?

If no, then what happens if you downgrade to 4.5-beta11 or something? Do the messages disapear?

You don't have to reboot for that.  The moment you modify that file, samba picks up the changes.

You can verify that by running the command  testparm

Didn't work for me! I verified the locks are set to no via testparm, yet those entries are still appearing.  :(

I do NOT believe the entries you added take effect immediately, I do think they WILL be reported by testparm, but testparm is a program that just reads the configuration files and checks their syntax.   It is designed so you can edit and verify the configuration before having them used by samba.   I think it led you to think the values were already being used by smbd.  I do not think that is the case at all.   testparm is just a validation tool.  It is not the samba daemon process, and the samba  "smbd" process has not yet read the new configuration.   It will not until you issue a smbcontrol command as shown below:

To get the new configuration to be used, you must either type:

smbcontrol smbd reload-config

or reboot (which will restart samba, and use the new configuration)

Joe L.

Thanks Joe! I typed in that command and that seems to have done the trick!  I haven't seen it pop up yet and I've played through a few songs so far.  I do have one other issue with iTunes though that fills up the syslog 100x faster than the one just solved though.

If I check the option to 'Keep Media Files Organized'  I get the following message:

Jan 15 23:09:44 Tower shfs: shfs_rmdir: rmdir: /mnt/disk2/iTunes/Library/Music/U2/The Best Of 1980-1990 (39) Directory not empty

Not sure why this is exactly, it only occurs when that setting is checked.  I don't think it's really an unraid issue, so I'll poke around iTunes a bit more and research online.  Just wanted to throw it out these in case anyone else has come across it. 

I do NOT believe the entries you added take effect immediately

As a litle experiment...

Appent this to the end of your smb-extra.conf

[ramfs]
  path = /

Save the changes.  Do not reboot.  Do not restart samba.

Look at your disk shares:  A new disk share named 'ramfs' appeared the moment you saved the changes.

It was a surprise to me too.  I expected to have to use the  'smbcontrol smbd reload-config'

Purko

I do NOT believe the entries you added take effect immediately

As a litle experiment...

Appent this to the end of your smb-extra.conf

[ramfs]
  path = /

Save the changes.  Do not reboot.  Do not restart samba.

Look at your disk shares:  A new disk share named 'ramfs' appeared the moment you saved the changes.

It was a surprise to me too.  I expected to have to use the  'smbcontrol smbd reload-config'

Purko

I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong...  The question is, what process is monitoring the file for changes??  Is it part of smbd? or emhttp?

I tried an experiment too, I killed emhttp and added a similar entry in the smb-extra.conf file. It was also added as a share.    I'm leaning towards it being smbd watching the file.  I'll go looking and see if it is a new feature in a recent SAMBA release.

In the interim, you are right, my previous statement is currently correct, although it is exactly what is described in older SAMBA documentation. They stated testparm is used to validate entries, and you need to issue smbcontrol commands to put them into effect. For now ... at least on unRAID 4.5-final, apparently the changes are recognized immediately.

Joe L.

The question is, what process is monitoring the file for changes?

I have a theory...

smb-extra.conf  is an include to  /etc/samba/smb.conf

I am thinking that maybe smbd itself is monitoring the includes for any changes.

I'll do some tests to (dis)prove that theory.

And BTW, it's not just unRAID 4.5.0-final.  It goes some time back.

Purko

On this page on samba.org, in the official manual

I found this statement:

The configuration file, and any files that it includes, are automatically reloaded every minute, if they change. You can force a reload by sending a SIGHUP to the server. Reloading the configuration file will not affect connections to any service that is already established. Either the user will have to disconnect from the service, or smbd killed and restarted.

So... it is samba itself that re-loads the included file every minute.  (and I learned something new)

That "every minute" may too be old information.

It does seem like changes are detected immediately.

In any case, mistery solved.  :)  

This page may solve the riddle. http://codeidol.com/other/samba/The-Samba-Configuration-File/Basic-Syntax-and-Rules/

It says

You can modify the smb.conf  configuration file and any of its options at any time while the Samba daemons are running. The question when they will take effect on the server (and be seen by clients) requires a detailed response.

When changing core NetBIOS or networking settings, such as modifying the name of the server or joining a domain, it is best to assume that a restart of all Samba daemons is necessary. For other global parameters and most changes to shares, apply these rules:

• When a new connection is received, the main smbd process spawns a child process to handle the incoming request. The new child rereads smb.conf upon startup, and therefore sees the change.
  • Once started, Samba daemons check every three minutes to determine whether any configuration files have been modified, and if so, reload and act on the parameters.
  • An administrator can force an immediate reload of smb.conf by sending the smbd process the Hangup (HUP) signal or by sending a reload-config message via the smbcontrol utility.

If when a new connection to samba is made (you browse the network shares from your windows PC), making a "new" connection, a "child" smbd process is spawned, then it, at that instant, would read the then current smb.conf and its included files and respond appropriately.   Notice this says the config is also looked at every three minutes.  I have a feeling to get the actual answer, I'll need to RTFS.

Joe L.

That too is a good answer, though probably not the real answer.

Upon refreshing the windows window that displays the unRAID shares,

sbmd doesn't spawn any additional child processes.

Yet, it catches the changes immediately. 

Besides, we've disabled samba's multithreading on unRAID.

That too is a good answer, though probably not the real answer.

Upon refreshing the windows window that displays the unRAID shares,

sbmd doesn't spawn any additional child processes.

Yet, it catches the changes immediately. 

Besides, we've disabled samba's multithreading on unRAID.

Are you sure it does not fork children for new connections?  Mine does...

2qbzzmh.jpg

Joe L.

Just to confirm I tried the suggested smb config fix

When you have databases stored on the server then you occaasionaly run into problems connected with windows locking.

Disabling samba locking on the server may solve yout problem.

You can do that by adding the following to  smb-extra.conf

Code:

kernel oplocks = no

oplocks  = no

level2 oplocks = no

I also rebooted the server after applying this.

I am afraid to say however this did not fix the issue.

Thanks

Matt

• 1 month later...

Everything is running fine, however I get this message systematically put out to the syslog, whenever I am running iTunes (with db stored on server), so I assume iTunes is trying to write to the disk in the background and failing for some reason.

General copying around and usage does not invoke the error. Syslog is clear except for the below.

----------CUT------------------

Jan 14 11:25:04 Tower shfs: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk3/iTunes-m/iTunes Library.xml (95) Operation not supported

Jan 14 11:25:04 Tower shfs: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk3/iTunes-m/Temp File.tmp (95) Operation not supported

Jan 14 11:26:53 Tower shfs: shfs_setxattr: setxattr: /mnt/disk3/iTunes-m/iTunes Library.itl (95) Operation not supported

I may be wrong, and I certainly have no experience here (never seen the error, never used iTunes or related, no experience with oplocks), but this error appears to be more related to setting extended attributes, than file locking.  The error number and message (95, Operation not supported) appears to be somewhat generic, and I found instances online that were associated with a number of varied issues (modifying ACL's, weak password hash, mounting CIFS, etc).

I could not determine if the users above were using iTunes on Windows or Macs, but it occurs to me that perhaps it is an Apple Mac attribute or metadata issue.  iTunes for Mac may be trying to set a Mac specific attribute, and Samba on the unRAID server is seeing that as an unknown command or parameter, and ignoring it with the reported error.

This may be a useful document, for you Apple users, that seemed to have some useful and practical info on integrating Macs with Linux servers:  (apologies if it proves irrelevant)

HowTo: Make Ubuntu A Perfect Mac File Server And Time Machine Volume [update6] (a pdf file)