UNRAID Web GUI not working when using flash drive in USB 3.1 port

Tim_Felbinger

First, the reason I am even trying to do this is because I want to free up my other USB controllers (including the one that controls the front case USB ports) for pass through to my Windows 10 VM.

My motherboard (MSI X99A SLI Plus) has multiple USB controllers (Shown below)

00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation C610/X99 series chipset USB xHCI Host Controller [8086:8d31] (rev 05)

00:1a.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation C610/X99 series chipset USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:8d2d] (rev 05)

00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation C610/X99 series chipset USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:8d26] (rev 05)

06:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: VIA Technologies, Inc. VL805 USB 3.0 Host Controller [1106:3483] (rev 01)

07:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1142 USB 3.1 Host Controller [1b21:1242]

The ASMedia USB 3.1 controller only has 2 USB ports on the back of the motherboard that I barely use, so I would like to run the UNRAID flash drive off of that controller to allow all other USB controllers to be passed through to the Windows 10 VM

When running the UNRAID drive from one of the intel USB 2.0 ports everything works perfectly and the WebGUI works.

When running the UNRAID drive from the ASMEDIA USB 3.1 ports, the windows 10 VM autoboots, all of my shares are accessible over the network, but the WebGUI simply shows a white screen.

Is there any workaround or fix for this? Any help appreciated.

Note: This problem was been confirmed on both 6.2.0 beta 23 and 6.2.0 rc3

Without looking at your MB manual, I would bet that there are unused USB2 headers on that MB.  Why don't you get a cabling adapter which will allow you to use one of those UBS2 ports with your Flash Drive.  You can get these adapters that will provide the standard USB port on a card bracket  that makes the ports available at the case back or one that allows internal mounting of the Flash inside of the case.  (Some folks actually prefer this inside-the-case mounting as it secures the Fash Drive from little hands and pets!) 

You are not the first person to have this problem of the UBS3 port not being handed off to the OS properly and,as far as I know, no one has ever found a solution!  Apparently, it is the result of an interaction (or lack of) between the particular MB, its BIOS and the Linux kernel...

Archived