Will my hardware be able to do nas and vms?

francesco995

Hi, i am going to make a nas + vms from my current gaming system

current specs are:

i5-4690k

ga-z97x-ud3h

8gb ddr3 ram (will add 2x8 more if this can work)

gtx570 (will upgrade to 1060 soon)

120gb cache ssh and 250 gb ssd for vms

other hdd for array (my question is not about array so i skip details)

what i want to do is get rid of my old nas (pentium dual core and 2 gb ram) which runs unraid and provides:

-nas access to my files

-plex docker

-crashplan docker

-deluge docker

what i want to do is transfer all into my main system (the one listed above) and:

run all my dockers: deluge will run only during night and we use plex on max 1/2 1080p tv at a time

run a windows 10 gaming vm with the gtx 1060 that still have to buy

run a secondary vm for only chrome usage with integrated gpu passthroug (will come out in the next beta)

i already have the 2 monitors for the 2 vms and an old gpu for unraid console (so that i can pass the igpu to the second vm)

i would like to do so as i will save energy, as my desktop is on all day, and i would get rid of 2 pcs (the current nas and the other old crappy pc that would be replaced by the secondary vm)

my only question is: will my 4690K be able to handle that?

will i lose a lot of performance in gaming?

i think that the 2 vms will rarely be used together, and we don't use plex a lot, but again, will my system be able to run all that? i have only tested once with my gtx570 but with only 8gb of ram i won't be able to test a lot.

Some thoughts...

• The equipment looks VT-d compatible
  • I'd definitely upgrade to 16GB of RAM
  • You may wish for a little more CPU
  • If you do, you can upgrade to a Core i7 4790 and get another 2500 Passmarks to play with
  • Overall it seems like it would work to me, unless you plan to do heavy transcoding while playing games

Good luck!

Some thoughts...

• The equipment looks VT-d compatible
  • I'd definitely upgrade to 16GB of RAM
  • You may wish for a little more CPU
  • If you do, you can upgrade to a Core i7 4790 and get another 2500 Passmarks to play with
  • Overall it seems like it would work to me, unless you plan to do heavy transcoding while playing games

Good luck!

thanks ;)

i don't plan to do more than 1 hd stream during gaming, as i am the only one that use plex a lot, and my media files are all mkv already optimized for tv or i plan to run transcoder during night

i will add 16gb of ram, but i already have the i5 so i am not going to buy an i7

With 16GB, Easy. The gaming is the biggest issue on a VM. I use a separate ssd for my VM's and cache drives. Helps a lot when someone is doing something and you are gaming.

i will add 16gb, so i'll have a total of 24gb. my only concerns are about the cpu and if will be able to handle all that usage

Again it comes down to what games, and other concurrent usage. Some games will eat all threads, some park 2. Some 4. Like BF4 loves to work in sets of 2/4/8 and if you have 2 transcode sessions at 1080 running with plex or similar then maybe you get some stutter. That doesnt seem like your use case however so you will be good. Separate drives to run VM'S will help more then a better cpu for a single persons typical usage when gaming. Get a better gfx card maybe depending on what you are gaming with over the next 2 years. @ 1080 you should be good. If at 4k then not close.