supermicro or asus?

I'm looking to build a new unraid server - I settled on most of the components already, the only thing I'm kind of torn about right now is the motherboard...you guys have experience with either of these, and which would you go with?

The proc is an E3-1245v5, here are the boards:

Supermicro X11SSH-F-O

ASUS P10S

I'm looking to build a new unraid server - I settled on most of the components already, the only thing I'm kind of torn about right now is the motherboard...you guys have experience with either of these, and which would you go with?

The proc is an E3-1245v5, here are the boards:

Supermicro X11SSH-F-O

ASUS P10S

Both of those have a M2 slot you can use at the expense of a Sata port, and only have 3 PCIe slots. Assuming you plan to use a mATX case a couple other boards you can look at with 4 PCIe slots are >>>

SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSM-F-O

ASRock C236M WS

The Supermicro boards support IPMI, but only support VGA display & have no on board sound, (I don't know how much value those last items have anymore).

• 3 weeks later...

Both of those have a M2 slot you can use at the expense of a Sata port,

Only if you're using a SATA M.2 SSD.  No-one should need to buy a SATA M.2, there's little point compared to normal 2.5" SSD drives.

Almost all my M.2 drives are PCI-E, some are AHCI and some are NVMe.  NVMe is the fastest.  unRAID now supports NVMe, which is great.