Problem mounting Windows 7 SMB mounts

mgpaulus

I have a Windows 7 Sagetv system that has over 15TB worth of captured TV media on.  I want to be able to mount the Windows drive on my unRAID box, and then setup Plex in a Docker container and access the Sagetv Media from the Docker container.  Sounds pretty simple.  So, I was able to mount all 6 of my drives initially using the Remote SMB/NFS dialog.  However, sometime after mounting all my drives, I started getting 121 errors from Samba.  I found a couple of solutions online:

Change the registry keys:

-----------

Solution 1:

This is Windows problem and following registry values need to be changed:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache - set it to 1

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Size - set it to 3

---------------------

Solution 2:

I got the same error, but found a different solution, since I did not want to mess with the Windows registry. Apparently, Windows 7 uses a different SMB version, and that needs to be specified on the command line in Linux. Once I add vers=2.1, I can connect without errors.

· 2.1 – The SMBv2.1 protocol that was introduced in Microsoft

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008R2.

-------------------------

So, I tried solution 2 from the command line, and that worked successfully.

root@Tower:/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices# mount -v -ouser=*******,password=******** -t cifs //sagetv1/D /mnt/disks/sagetv1_D

mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.0.10,unc=\\sagetv1\D,user=*******,pass=********

mount error(121): Remote I/O error

Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

root@Tower:/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices# mount -v -ouser=********,password=*******,vers=2.1 -t cifs //sagetv1/D /mnt/disks/sagetv1_D

mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.0.10,unc=\\sagetv1\D,vers=2.1,user=********,pass=********

root@Tower:/boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices# l /mnt/disks/sagetv1_D

./  ../  Plus.key*  SageTV/  System\ Volume\ Information/  Videos/  rsync.out*  rsync1.out*  sage.bak/

As can be seen, adding the vers clause as an option seems to have cleared up that issue. 

So, my question is this:  I found where the shares are stored on /boot/config/plugins/unassigned.devices/samba_mounts.cfg.  However, I was wondering if there is a way to add some additional samba options to that file (Like vers=2.1)?

All I see are these:

[//sagetv1/e]

protocol = "SMB"

ip = "sagetv1"

path = "e"

user = "********"

pass = "*******"

share = "e"

automount = "yes"

Well, I found the FUGLY solution:

append ',vers=2.1' to my username or to my password when creating the remote mounts (or in my case, add it to the samba_mount.cfg file).

However, this is a really bad practice, and I would still like to know if there is a "clean" or correct manner to handle this scenario?

Archived