Advice?: i7 6800k (oc in the future) or Xeon E5-2630 V4 10-core

Destynx

We are building a pretty high end server, with a budget of about 2000 euro's.

Got a few questions though. At this moment were not sure which cpu to go for.

Option one is a 10-core Xeon E5-2630 V4. This would do about 14000 in passmark.

Option two is an i7 6800k 6-core. Already got the 5820k @4,5Ghz at home and that does a whopping 17500 in passmark.

So the idea is to overclock the i7 to about 4,5 Ghz, with an H100i V2 on it.

Only thing is, were running a plex server for about 7 people. Also there will be a VM with about 5 different user accounts running on it.

A few dockers for couchpotato, sabnzbd, sonarr, and maybe some game servers.

So the 6-core would perform better, but the 10-core would allow for more scalability for the different dockers and vm's were running.

The 10-core would be combined with  32GB of 2400 mhz ECC memory (X99 raider mobo, with ECC support).

The 6-core would be combined with 32GB of 3200 mhz Corsair vengeance memory.

There will be some "normal" storage like photo's, documents etc. on the array, which consists of 3x4 TB with one 4TB as parity disk.

The movies and series for plex will be stored outside the array using the unnassigned drives plugin with about 27TB's of HDD in there.

A 960 Evo 500GB PCI-E flash will be used as a cache drive, mainly for the vm to run smoothly on.

Main question is about the choice of cpu, but if anyone has any other tips or recommendations, please let us know!

unRAID does many things, but at its core it's a fault tolerant storage system.

Overclocking means pushing a CPU to the edge of instability.

Instability and fault tolerance don't go together. Overclock your gaming machine, not your fault tolerant storage server.  If that means buying the E5 to meet your CPU needs, then go for it. 

Most server based functions are multi-threaded and therefore happier with more cores/threads.  Gaming is different, not as multi-threaded and tends to like fast cores.  Your intended use sounds more like a true server based profile to me.

Archived