New here and just ordered parts for a new build

gabbott

I've been wanting to try unraid for quite some time to stream to my xbmc boxes.

I just placed an order for the following:

Biostar MATX AMD Motherboard A760G

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB Kit 800MHz DDR2

AMD Sempron 140

For a PSU I already have an OCZ gxs600

I plan to start out with 2 WD 1.5TB green drives 1 WD 500gig and 2 320gig drives

I have an old antec case that it might fit in or if not that might be another purchase.

From reading the forums this sounds like this would be a decent build. Thoughts?

I've been wanting to try unraid for quite some time to stream to my xbmc boxes.

I just placed an order for the following:

Biostar MATX AMD Motherboard A760G

Kingston ValueRAM 2GB Kit 800MHz DDR2

AMD Sempron 140

For a PSU I already have an OCZ gxs600

I plan to start out with 2 WD 1.5TB green drives 1 WD 500gig and 2 320gig drives

I have an old antec case that it might fit in or if not that might be another purchase.

From reading the forums this sounds like this would be a decent build. Thoughts?

That should work.  The NIC chipset is listed on the Hardware Compatibility Page and you should be good to go.  Make sure to do some testing and make sure everything works before trusting the setup 100%.  The board is on the compatibility list but has not been testing.  If/when you get a chance take a look at the Motherboard Rating System so we can get some info on the board and get it tested for the Hardware Compatibility Page.

Thanks prostuff1, I'll make sure to do some testing.

One other question and not sure if this is the spot for it. I'm migrating my data from another server running Freenas and the drives will be moving over too.

So on the freenas box I currently have a 1.5tb drive that is almost full, a 320gig drive and a 500 gig drive that are pretty loaded with data.

I've got a brand new 1.5tb drive and a 320gig drive that are empty.

So can I get the unraid box setup, put some data on it and test with the empty drives, and then migrate data from the other box to those drives and then use the 1.5tb from the freenas box as my parity drive?

Just trying to figure out the best plan for migration.

Thanks prostuff1, I'll make sure to do some testing.

One other question and not sure if this is the spot for it. I'm migrating my data from another server running Freenas and the drives will be moving over too.

So on the freenas box I currently have a 1.5tb drive that is almost full, a 320gig drive and a 500 gig drive that are pretty loaded with data.

I've got a brand new 1.5tb drive and a 320gig drive that are empty.

So can I get the unraid box setup, put some data on it and test with the empty drives, and then migrate data from the other box to those drives and then use the 1.5tb from the freenas box as my parity drive?

Just trying to figure out the best plan for migration.

You can put the new 1.5TB drive and the 320GB drive in the server, get them formatted and go about moving data from the freenas box to the unRAID box.  After the data is moved over connect the old 1.5TB drive and do a parity sync, then do a parity check by starting it ourself via the webGUI.  Once that is done and stuff seems to be working and stable then I could move the other 320GB and 500GB drive over.

Do a search in the unRAID wiki and in the unRAID forum for preclear.sh.  It is a script created by one of the users, JoeL, that preclears and stress tests your drives.  It should be run especially on the new drives.

That's the same mobo and cpu that I'm running (see my sig).  I haven't had the time to run the mobo through the level one and level two testing yet, but I can tell you anecdotally that it works perfectly.  The CPU is also a nice low power unit, and is plenty fast for unRAID.

Archived