We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Ikea unRAID server?

Rajahal

I present the $8 Ikea Server Rack, a.k.a. the LackRack.

It just struck me today - could I build an unRAID server based on this design?  I would love to have my unRAID server tucked away in a coffee or side table.

Its low-cost and perfect fit are great for mounting up to 8 U of 19" hardware' date=' such as switches, or perhaps other 19" gear.[/quote']

I know the Norco 4020 is a popular unRAID case, but it is listed as 4U and the dimensions are 16.9" x 25.5" x 7.0", so it looks like it might not fit.

Could someone explain the whole 'U' rating system to me?  8U, 4U, 3U, etc.

The U refers to the height in Units. A server rack is rated to hold a particular number of units (eg 12 is a popular size for home server enthusiasts). This means you could fit three of the 4U Norco units or four of the 3U Norco units etc..

Ah, I see.  That means the width is consistent, right?  So either a 3U or 4U Norco unit should be able to fit in one of these LackRacks?

Yes width is universal. its only height that varies. Depth also varies but there is a set maximum that applies to make sure stuff fits in a "rack" but sometimes units are shallower.

As noted by Chris above i'm not sure how a Lack coffee table would support a 4U server case if its only hanging by the front screws. You would also need to rig up a brace to hold it at the back end I think. Or use two of them with the legs on top one shortened up to just go over the top of the case and the bottom one for the case to actually sit on as per below picture

http://wiki.eth-0.nl/index.php/Image:5x_lackrack.jpg

Also note that current versions of the Lack tables have hollow legs so you would need to use expanding foam putty or similar to fill the legs to allow for screwing in the case.

I've also been looking into the LackRack concept but for my home theatre system not my PC gear. Is a novel approach that is both cost effective and actually looks pretty nice if done properly.

Something else to note is that the Norco 4U rackmounts are very long so you would probably need to use the larger rectangle Lack Coffee Table instead of the smaller square Lack Side Table... The coffee tables look like below when stacked

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1108322802.jpg

Here is a good thread showing a few different configurations. Its mainly for home theatre gear obviously but could be adapted to support a rackmount server case like the Norco. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ikea-lack-rack-thread-179442/

Guest smnas

Wow, the LackRack seems like a uber piece of lounge room furniture. So how I have a good feeling my wife wouldn't approve of:

1). The fact that it doesn't look or isn't made of wood.

2). It relates to computers.

3). It would generate too much noise while the unRAID Server is in operation, &

4). The cabling going in and out would annoy her.

Though she didn't say anything about the Back Shed, Hehehe...

Archived