JBOD driven by server/diskshelf

I am fairly new to unraid and im wondering if I can use it with this setup.  I currently have 2 PCs I can use to drive unraid.  A dual cpu E5-2680 and an older X5690....both commercial grade server equipment.    If I buy a netapp disk self like say a DS4243, can I get it to work with the server and unraid?  I realize I will have to buy an addin PCI-E card.

Thanks!

All my backup unRAID servers work that way.  I use rackmount SAS enclosures and widely-available SAS controllers in the host (9207-8e, 9300-8e, ...).

So all you should need besides the NetApp disk shelf is a PCIe HBA/controller that's compatible with the disk shelf, that's also compatible with unRAID.

I will 2nd this. I also run my unRAID servers on disk shelves/JBOD chassis. As long as unRAID can see the HBA and therefore the disks, it doesn't care where your disks are located.

I used SM 846 chassis in the past and now use HGST 4U60 JBOD chassis and unRAID could care less. I'm sure there are plenty of cards that don't work with unRAID but I have to be honest, I have never come across one that didn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too.

HBA: LSI 9206-16e (PCIe-8x) + Enclosure: Areca ARC-3036 (8 bays and builtin SAS Expander)

Pros: This config allows the drives to run at max speed, and expand as much as you can afford, and not really worry about power or thermal issues inside your case (using a Mini-ITX system here - see sig)

Cons:

the HBA and Enclosure and cables alone cost me about 1500 US$ in 2015, and its damn near impossible to source in my country for a regular consumer.

But its worth every penny as its easy to replace drives (hot swap) and near impossible to have disconnected data/power cables during messing with the hardware. (You either disconnect them all or you don't)

Im not familiar with that specific card so I would do a quick search to see if anyone else is using it with unRAID without issues.

Other than that, yes, just plug in the card, plug in your external SAS cable from the card to the JBOD and your off to the races. Again not familiar with that card so if it's just a standard HBA rather than a raid card..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok so just to the diskshelf and a card like the LSI SAS9207-8e in my server and it should shake and bake?  (or at least get me started)

The 9207-8es are what I use the most.

Also have used successfully:

9200-8e

9300-8e

9202-16e

9211-4i

9211-8i

They key consideration is that they are HBAs as opposed to RAID cards (IT mode).

• Like 1

to run the 9207-8e card do you need any special fireware or drivers for unraid/linux?  Or basically plug in the card, the cable, and the disk shelf and run and gun!

I've never gotten one that didn't plug-n-play, including one purchased brand new.  I have five or so of them, mostly purchased on eBay.