New to unraid and need help

TwiissTed

Hey guys, first time doing a unraid build and I need help and clarification. I wanted to do something similar to linus' gaming/nas pc, for temporary use as I'm saving up for a better main pc toward summertime till then i need something to hold me off. first off the build:

Core i7 2600

Asus P8H77-I

16 GB DDR3 Ram

GTX 1060

480 gb SSD

(still deciding on hardrives) x 5 or x4 drives

Lian Li PC Q25

Silverstone sfx 600w

My questions are :

1.Do you need 1 or 2 ssd's to run unraid and windows 10 or do I need them to run in raid? (like linus did in his video)

2.How many hard drives should I start the build with and how easy is expandability?

3.Would it be possible to convert this pc later to full on nas while retaining all the data on the array? 

1. The single SSD you mention should be plenty, but you won't have any redundancy.

2. As many as you want, but I recommend at least one for parity and one for data to start.

3. Yes. One of the best features of unRAID is how easy it is to add drives of different sizes to the parity array.

1. Also remember you don't have to use an SSD for unRAID, but its really useful for Dockers, VM's and temp storage. You will need a decent USB stick to store unRAID on for the OS.

Wasn't sure if you completely understood that and if you already knew that please strike that. ;)

Archived