E5-2609 or E5-2620 - benefit to extra threads?

I'm looking at upgrading my server and cannot decide between these 2 CPUs:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-xeon-e5-2609-v4-s-2011-3-broadwell-ep-8-core-17ghz-20mb-40-lane-64gt-s-qpi-85w-retail

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-xeon-e5-2620-v4-s-2011-3-broadwell-ep-8-core-21ghz-3ghz-turbo-20mb-40-lane-80gt-s-qpi-85w-reta

There's ~£100 difference and the main difference is that the 1st CPU is 8 single threaded cores whereas the 2nd CPU is 8 dual threaded cores.

I really want to create virtual machines on my unraid box so am wondering is it worth me paying the extra for the "better" CPU? Will the extra threads make a difference from a virtualisation point of view or will it just complicate things?

Many thanks

Get the one with HT, it only complicates VMs in the sense that you need to pair physical core with HT cores for best performance. Also... are you really buying new instead of an eBay server pull for a fraction of the price?

I was going to buy new, hadn't even considered ebay. Should I be?

Get the one with HT, it only complicates VMs in the sense that you need to pair physical core with HT cores for best performance. Also... are you really buying new instead of an eBay server pull for a fraction of the price?

I was going to buy new, hadn't even considered ebay. Should I be?

I got four E5-2670v1 for about $70 each. So yeah... huge savings to be had.