[Question] Can Unraid be installed on a raspberry pi?

Oddsodz

This may sound like a very silly question,  but my google fu has failed me and I have not found a post that states that it can be done.  I have found many a post about "Emulation" but not a real answer to my silly question.

I guess it would help if I told you why I wish to know this.

I wish to run a very VERY low power NAS.  I dont need things like transcoding for media things.  All I really need is an Unraid NAS and a torrent client (transmission or if I get lucky Deluge in a docker). And so I was thinking that if I was to jerry rig a few USBtoSATA thingys and hook up some HDDs that way.  I could shove them in is a little wooden box and hide it all in a back room somewhere nice and quiet and out of sight and sound.

So there you have it. 

I hope I have posted in the right place.  If not I am sorry.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Oddsodz

• Like 1

With good component and PSU choices, it's possible to get unRAID to idle at about 8W.  It should be possible to go a little lower than that if you go to picoPSU and a good external power brick.

My i3 unRAID box idles at about 10W, for example.  Lower than that, you might struggle, but I have seen 6W using an Athlon 5350 with a passive cooler, and a single fan (a 120mm/140mm fan can use 1W!).   

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/1/2017 at 6:28 PM, JonathanM said:

Nope. Can't be done.

Couldn't say it better myself... UNLESS... you're just trying to make it run as a test and then it will work and you can post it on social media and "prove" all sorts of things. :)

... Like dividing by 0.

MrGrey.